• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Tuning without gauges?

pen

CB750 Member
Reaction score
This post is really asking two questions. Is there a way/What’s the best way to tune the carbs without those pressure gauge setups that I see on youtube? Also, my bike used to run fine-ish, but lately it had been choking itself out. It would run fine for a spell, then stop revving past 3/4k and then just bogg down and out. I just replaced the ignition coils, so I figure it’s not them, nor is it the battery. So the second question is do the carbs ever fall out of tune, so to speak? Or does it sound more like an ignition/timing issue?

Yes you can tune without gauges but you must have the ear and feel to do it. So if you have experience tuning say 10 to 15 bikes before I’m sure you could do a good job without gauges.

so many varibles carbs do not go out of tune on their own. How long has the bike been sitting, good gas or bad gas?? Crude in the stud?? Engine condition will cause carbs to faultier - spark plugs??

manual gives you a baseline settings for the carbs best to seat the idle screws lightly counting turns in - then remove and check the tips for dirt and clean the hole. If it ran good recently the adjustment can’t be to far off.
also a good tool is an infrared temp reader check the tempature on each of the 4 headers - make sure all 4 are within close range. About 180 to 200 degrees from what I recall.

My high dollar infrared temp checker is a windex bottle with water in it.
spray the headers the problem cylinders will take longer to evaporate.
Never assume a recently replaced part isn't the issue.
Crack gas cap see if it makes a difference.
is it charging?

Back