• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

So what do I really have on my hands...and what should I do about it. Help needed.

gutz

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all from a total newbie to forum and Honda's. My father-in-law is the original owner of these and once I get the 84 V65 Sabre running, he says the 1969 CB750 is mine. I'm handy but definitely no wrencher, so a tear down is beyond me. Both bikes were driven into these spots in the garage and sat there supporting junk and boxes. The V65 was running 5 years ago and the CB about 23 years ago. See this hilarious unveiling.
I've always known there was another bike back there but all you could see was this tire.
IMG_4783.jpg
After a quick hour of breaking down boxes and organizing...

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

Looky looky
IMG_4786.jpg
IMG_4794.jpg

I really need some ideas of what I should do and what it might cost. Not new to riding but restoring a classic is a whole different thing. I am thinking of some general strategies or directions I could go here.

Low: Just get it running
Medium: hybrid cafe/classic look
Hight: total restore.

I just don't know what I'm getting into and what my approach should be. Don't want to mess anything up. Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 147
From the number on the frame, you may have a true "sandcast" there. Total restoration of a sandcast can get expensive. On the other hand, you may very well be able to sell it for a tidy sum and be able to afford a very nice bike with the proceeds. If you do decide to keep it, I would not modify anything that could not be easily undone. Getting it road worthy should be easy enough, just don't go cutting the frame and hacking parts off with a sawzall/torch/grinder. The sandcast versions are the holy grail so try to preserve any parts that you decide to replace, like the original seat, original gauges, original fuel tank, sidecovers, etc.

You could make a nice rider out of it without having to commit to a "Concourse" restoration, yet still preserve the integrity of the original parts and you will have preserved a great deal of its value. I would get it running, get the brakes working, 3000 mile tune up, put new tires/tubes/chain/sprockets/battery/fork seals and ride the crap out of it. A running sandcast is worth even more than a non-running sandcast. Check the engine serial number as well. Early sandcast bikes had engine numbers that actually matched the frame numbers. Later SOHC CB750's would usually have engine numbers within 100 of the frame number.

Get someone knowledgeable and experienced to help you with the carbs. The carbs can be some of the more expensive items on a sandcast, so don't screw them up!

Thanks for the reply, MadMTN. I love the idea of riding a piece of history and keeping this bike in the family. So selling it is out. I'd love to restore to original but I'd have to get a grip on what that might cost and who would do it. Doesn't seem like a job for the local Honda $hop:eek:

The engine number is a little bit off from the frame but is original to the bike as purchased. He said he was on a waiting list to buy this bike when they first came out and had to pay extra to get bumped up on the list. It was the candy red color originally and he had it painted a couple of years later because every other CB on the road was red.
IMG_4793 (1).jpg

Do you guys think its safe to try to turn this thing over. Anyone have a checklist of things to do before trying to start an old motor?

Would still love to hear other opinions on what approach I should take on this beast. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, MadMTN. I love the idea of riding a piece of history and keeping this bike in the family. So selling it is out. I'd love to restore to original but I'd have to get a grip on what that might cost and who would do it. Doesn't seem like a job for the local Honda $hop:eek:

The engine number is a little bit off from the frame but is original to the bike as purchased. He said he was on a waiting list to buy this bike when they first came out and had to pay extra to get bumped up on the list. It was the candy red color originally and he had it painted a couple of years later because every other CB on the road was red.
View attachment 6978

Do you guys think its safe to try to turn this thing over. Anyone have a checklist of things to do before trying to start an old motor?

Would still love to hear other opinions on what approach I should take on this beast. Thanks!

Yep, looks like a legitimate sandcast there. You even have the "provenance" of being related to the original owner. Before trying to turn it over I suggest adding a couple ounces of oil to each cylinder. You might want to do an oil change as well, pouring a little bit of the last quart into each of the eight valve inspection caps in the valve cover to get some lube up top. Leave the plugs out, stuff a rag over each spark plug opening (in case you got carried away with the oil), and see if the motor will turn by using the kickstart lever. You should be able to turn this by hand with the plugs removed.

Do the 3000 mile tune up, and maybe check out the "Sandcast Only" forum:

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php

as well as the SOHC/4 forum:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php

Getting it running should not be too difficult, and should not be prohibitively expensive. The "Concourse" restoration can get very expensive depending on what parts are lacking. I see that the original 4-into-4 exhaust was replaced, which can set you back anywhere from $1200 to $2000 for reproduction pieces. Original OEM pipes could go more.

Take good care of it! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. Very helpful. Does anyone have a 3000 mile instruction manual or checklist. I would need the "for Dummies" version if there is one. regarding the basics parts I'll need to get it going, like filters, plugs, battery, tune up kit, should I just find out whats compatible or do you all have a favorite brand or something close to OEM?

Yeah, and his daughter basically gave the OEM pipes away in a garage sale without permission.

Thanks,
Gutz

Get the sabre running and ride it, the V65 is one hell of a fun bike. Then take your time to bring that sandcast back to origanal. Congratulations and have fun with them.

Your first investment should be a factory Honda service manual, no cheap junk. I prefer having printed copy in my hands then the online version but the choice is yours.

Back