• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

What Should I Inspecting On The Engine

Boguard

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am relatively new to CB750's and the whole bike world in general.
Two yeas ago I bought a 1979 Honda CB750f super sport, The bike was is decent condition and seem to run fine when I bought it, I have driven it up and down the driveway, But never on the road as I did not have yet have my drivers license at the time of the purchase :D Over the last year and a half the bike has been in my shop and I have been restoring it off and on ie: new seat, new light, new wiring... etc. In the beginning the plan was to leave the engine be and just work on the cosmetics, but now I'm about to remove the engine to paint the frame and I'm wondering if I should I open up and inspect the engine while I have I have it out.

So here is where I need your help/opinions
for starters, Is it a good idea to open up the engine? I have some experience with engine restoration but not an expert by any means.
And if I was to open it up what are some key points I should inspect, and what should I be looking for?
According to the odometer the bike has 27,064 miles on it, So I plan on doing all the routine maintenance the owners manual recommends but I think it would be worth my time to do a more in-depth inspection before taking it on the road.

Any input is welcome!

Thanks!

>Is it a good idea to open up the engine?
Not unless you plan on rebuilding it. Sure you can take covers off and most likely you'll need to replace gaskets. But if you're planning on taking the head off or splitting the cases, then you's looking at a rebuild, replacing seals, head gasket, rings and more.

I would say do a compression test, if that's within specs and you're not leaking any oil leave it. Definitely check your valve clearances.

If you don't have one, get your self a manual, here's a copy of the Factory Service Manual
https://www.mediafire.com/?klfelhtf6ke5a

Couldnt agree more here!! These bikes are indestructable !! 27k just breaking her in!! Keep the tach under 10grand and ypur grand son will ride that bike !!

I can break a DOHC in nothing flat, it's just knowing how to do it. 30K here in Texas and the cam chain tensioners are shedding rubber all over the place. Most won't get to 30 anyway and they never get the valves set once, people just don't do it. The rods are super weak in them and shell rod bearings very easy if not taken good care of. The alternators break every 15 minutes it seems.

Hmmm never had that problem ... the old heads that taught
Me the lil i know said to replace the tensioner if they were ,brittle,or showed the oitline of the chain on them, once i was showed the oil ports on them and " cleaned them out" lol i stopped
Having problems
It wasALSO when i learned that if. I stay OUT oF 10k plus RPMs i stopped having to break my engine down.lol
Ive NEVER had a problem w/bearing rods.. and i use to beat mine to death ... BUT im not in Texas and i hear it gets alil warm.

Back