• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sealing up a '78 750K Tank Flap

bdegroodt

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Quick check on sanity before I head down this path, but I have a 1978 CB750K with the fuel tank flap cover. I'm not a fan. So plan here is twofold. First, knock the tank in and down a bit for knee inserts and then (the tough part) I'm thinking take off the flap, remove the current fuel cap, fill the recessed area where the flap rests and covers currently (cut tank, weld filler material to be consistent with recessed area, but raised) and then drilling in a Monza-style fuel cap. Anyone seen this done? Done it? Better suggestion? All thoughts welcome, but I definitely want out of the current tank design and into something much more "racy" than is currently on the frame.

Also, previous owner states that the tank basically rests on the frame and a rubber piece up front keeps it from sliding off. This isn't my experience and as it's been converted (by PO) to a DC flat seat, I'm wondering if from the factory the seat held the tank in place from the rear and the rubber up front, underneath acted as an additional anchor. Upon receiving the bike from the shipper, the tank was listing to the side and it's extremely loose. Certainly like no other tank I've ever had on other bikes. But then again they were Italian and German so maybe it's different on this side of the world...Thoughts?

I have seen the modification done on a 750F tank, guess it would be the same procedure on yours. If I remember where I saw it I will post the link.
Meanwhile here is a version but not monza. http://motopreserve.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Tank-Done.jpg?cbefa0

Generally Honda tanks use a rubber retainer on the rear too. It hooks on the frame just before the seat and the tank slips into it. Some Honda seats
do fit over the end of the tank but is more design than function. With out the rubber retainer the tank will flop around either way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hon...r:1978|Make:Honda&hash=item2a3d451e31&vxp=mtr

If your frame was modified where the hooks are gone you may have to come up with another way.
have a good one.

Back