• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

oil vent hoses

danrobichaud1963

CB750 Member
Reaction score
good day peeps.I'm seeing a lot of different info regarding vent hoses. I'm currently in the process of reviving a 77 CB 750F and i'm struggling with the oil vent hose configuration.
Current set up is as follows.
Valve cover vent goes straight to atmosphere
Nipple on top of air box has nothing attached
Spigot on oil tank(overflow?) has nothing attached.
I've read in some threads that this line connects to a crankcase vent which i cannot locate.
Ive also read that these vents all go to a common tank or something similar which would vent back to the air box and periodic draining would be required to drain any accumulated oil.

I'm concerned mostly about the oil tank overflow/vent
Any oil that may come from this will fall on the ground and possibly affect the ability to keep the back wheel form getting oil on it.
Any input would be great.
Thanks
Dan

Valve cover vent to atmosphere is fine, it originally connected to a vapor separator under the battery and from there to the top of the airbox. The oil tank overflow should connect to the back of the lower crankcase just above the front of the swingarm.

I have read that you can simply plug the oil tank overflow/vent which is what I have done with mine after experiencing the rear tire becoming slick from oil dripping. This seems to have solved the problem for me without any ill effect. Just got mine unseized and running after 21 years so I am learning as I go. Good luck and, most importantly, have fun.

I have read that you can simply plug the oil tank overflow/vent which is what I have done with mine after experiencing the rear tire becoming slick from oil dripping. This seems to have solved the problem for me without any ill effect. Just got mine unseized and running after 21 years so I am learning as I go. Good luck and, most importantly, have fun.

What about the connection to the rear of the lower crankcase just above the front of the swingarm? Did you plug that too?

"I have read that you can simply plug the oil tank overflow"
That advice was mistaken. If it was meant to be plugged up, the engineers at Honda would have designed it differently.

There's no danger of oil leaking out onto the tire if the hose is connected to the port where it is meant to be connected to -- which is exactly where MadMtnMotors said to connect it.

Last edited:
Back