• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Murray’s Carbs?

Iceman16

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone had experience with purchasing the Murray’s Carbs? I’m thinking about purchasing them. I’m hoping that Murray’s Carbs are more consistent and easier to tune.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_7177.png
    IMG_7177.png
    576.6 KB · Views: 42
Ditto. Except sometimes you have to rejet what Murray sent you but they are usually pretty good when you get them. And they are a carb you can buy yourself; you're ultimately paying for the 1into2 intakes.

I got a set and when I first got them they were great. He jets them extremely rich and gas mileage is horrible but when you turn the throttle it goes.

A few weeks ago when it started cooling off here in South Florida it started running pretty bad. I'm actually waiting on USPS today for some leaner jets. Even with the needle dropped all the way down the plugs run black and it tends to smoke a little black out the pipes because of how rich it is. I'm sure his engines he test them on are tip top but most of ours aren't.

For me I'm in South Florida heat and humidity and he tunes them from North Carolina so there will be a difference. They come well enough to run but like the other poster said you can buy these carbs yourself and I did. The only difference between his and how they come stock is the literally the main jet. He jets the main with a 240... Stock is 260. And he removes the air jet. Other than than no difference. Mikuni makes an endless amount of jets and needles that you could tune these to perfection which is surprising since he only swaps out the main. And if you question him he will without a doubt get defensive and tell you not to touch it and they are perfect. Far from it in my opinion.

My bike is an 81 750k stock. I've completely rebuilt it with genuine Honda parts. I had to wait weeks for parts to come from Japan for some items. My compression is 165 on all 4 and valves shimmed to .005, no excuses for a crappy running engine 😬🫣. I get at most 100-115 miles out of a tank. That's almost 25mpg IF I run all 4.7 gallons but I fill up at 100mi.

Anyways hopefully new leaner jets will give me better fuel economy and solve my crappy running in the cooler weather. 90* and up runs great. As soon as it got 80* just pure crap. Overall good carb setup and fairly easy to tune. YMMV good luck 🤞🏼😁

Why does the 10° drop create poor performance? I would think the cooler air would be more dense and help against a rich condition.

Idk... I just got those 2 steps down like you advised In my post a while ago. It's been a mystery to me. It was running great and then it wasn't. But remember I did put the slides in backwards so that was my fault. Either way it should have straitened out after putting the slides back but it hasn't. I've got 35 pilots and 240 mains. I just got my 32.5 and 30 pilots 230 and 220 mains in. Starting with 1 step down and if not leaning I'll swap in the 2 steps down. We'll see what happens.

I've heard from a few people that the Murray setup was overly rich for their bikes and as it cooled off it ran worse than it did in the summer. On the other hand I've heard from most people that even though overly rich it still runs quite well. Which I was in that crowd to begin with. Just not enough people out there with these to get good jet numbers from like say the XS650 bikes. They got the jet numbers down.... Then again a special 2 into 1 manifold isn't required to run the 34s either.

I agree... 100% unless I'm missing something so obvious I'm not seeing it. Ive got another post about advance timing I'm working on. Ignition has been upgraded except the pickups and it idles great just above idle and loaded it breaks up and runs horrible. Brett advised 2 steps lean so that's where I'm at. Plugs say extremely rich so it makes sense to me.

I'm done with my issues here. The carb setup has fairly good reviews in my opinion and HAS been running great compared to the CV carbs. I would say that SpeedMotorCo is much more pleasant to deal with over Murray. Same setup. Different vendor

If it idles well, don't change the pilot. Just focus on the main and then the needle. My two cents.
Coming off idle, those carbs use an accel pump, right? Have you checked that?
And by the way, this is something we all go thru with these bikes. The compression drives 70% of the bike's operation, and the rest is timing/ignition and carbs. I might have missed an item or two but you get it. Getting everything right is a time-consuming affair. Or better, a love-hate relationship.

No... No accelerator pumps... It's a roll on off idle. You can snap it but most likely it will bog or stumble then rev. Basic as basic can be.

On a side note about the install use genuine Honda intake boots. The aftermarket are either to long or not thick enough. And with the genuine boots, the first time you tighten them make sure it's tight enough but not to tight... The hose clamps will cut the boots and split them after the heat cycles. And don't tighten the hose clamps while they are hot. It will also cut the boots. I know this first hand. The Honda boots are about $100-$130 on eBay but they are worth it. Cheapies are a fraction of the price... And for good reason

Back