• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking at buying please advise

The_Barber

CB750 New member
Reaction score
im looking at buying a 90s model nighthawk, locally i have found a 91,92 and 99 but idk which year would be better or if it would even matter

Mileage probably matters more than year, unless you can find something that was consistently a problem in any of those years. But it is a honda, but so I'm betting not.

Mileage probably matters more than year, unless you can find something that was consistently a problem in any of those years. But it is a honda, but so I'm betting not.
between a 99 and a 92, the 99 and one of the 92 have 50-60k the other 92 has 31k. Im just getting into bikes so im green as they come, whats considered high on a bike. 50+ seems like alot to me but im buying cheap just to try to learn the ins and outs of the motor and stuff to start with

When it comes to a 50-60k engine versus a 30k engine, chances are higher the former has more problems (clutch needing redone, etc.). I think I read on here the nighthawk valves don't need adjustments but I don't know if that is true. I wouldn't be afraid of either one, honestly.
The telling differences for me would be the condition of the inside of the gas tank, rust on the bike, etc. That will tell you if the bike was neglected.

When it comes to a 50-60k engine versus a 30k engine, chances are higher the former has more problems (clutch needing redone, etc.). I think I read on here the nighthawk valves don't need adjustments but I don't know if that is true. I wouldn't be afraid of either one, honestly.
The telling differences for me would be the condition of the inside of the gas tank, rust on the bike, etc. That will tell you if the bike was neglected.
thanks dude, thats exactly the kind of info i needed before checking this out lol

92 Nighthawk here and the valves do not need to adjusted ever. Hydraulic lifers so the oil being clean is very important. Yes 50k is high mileage but depending on owner maintenance is not a problem. 31k is much better. 12k would be great if kept in running condition.

Avoid the bike with 5k and stored for the last 15 years!!!

92 Nighthawk here and the valves do not need to adjusted ever. Hydraulic lifers so the oil being clean is very important. Yes 50k is high mileage but depending on owner maintenance is not a problem. 31k is much better. 12k would be great if kept in running condition.

Avoid the bike with 5k and stored for the last 15 years!!!
Why avoid that one?

Many reasons - rust is tank east coast humidity, Carbs clogged due to dried up fuel, rust is crankcase due to humidity and storage location -in a shed maybe.. bearing rusted due to sitting rain / humidity... do I need to continue... mud dobber's, mouse piss, electrical wing damage rodents again...WOW

A bike with 12k and kept in running condition is much better.

Biebs i bought a 12 year stood in england 750 fz and had all that trouble , the corrosion and galvanic reactions had killed off most things, absolute nightmare right down to a seized rear wheel spindle in the bearings

Back