• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Ignition replacement

ubu2ibme2

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello-
What’s the easiest and practical way to remove and replace a ignition switch on a’78 750 CBa?
I’m a novice when it comes to motorcycles but I’m a true DIYer when it comes to automobiles.
If I can get an video link &/or a diagram, that would be great!
Thanks in advance-

ig.jpg
CB750A? Hondamatic then? Based on my search, I do believe that your ignition unit is the same as my K7 (K8 is also the same). Basically, the ignition doubles as your steering lock, correct? (Like the picture here)

First, do you have a manual? (Paper or digital) They are often available for free online.

Although I don't know Hondamatics specifically, since the ignition unit is the same as mine, that means it will be bolted onto the gauge cluster clamp (the thing that holds our gauges) from BEHIND (8mm bolts?). This requires that we remove the headlight (3 screws) and then detach -- but not completely remove -- the headlight bucket. If you're careful, you can just sort of wiggle the headlight down the wires just enough to let you get back there. The ignition is connected to a large, white plastic plug.

(If you move the headlight bucket, do be sure to check all your wire connections before putting the headlight back on) It is a relatively painless process, probably even fun for someone who enjoys wrenching.

If you need a new ignition, used ones are available on Ebay, however, used ignitions from this period are old, and that steering lock bolt can be stuck up inside. Normally, I'm all about buying used parts, but not with this particular part. If that is, you need one.

Last edited:
PS It may be possible to get up behind there without removing the headlight, but personally, I hate forcing my hands into tiny spaces. I want to see what I'm working on, and not waste time cursing at falling wrenches. :)

PS It may be possible to get up behind there without removing the headlight, but personally, I hate forcing my hands into tiny spaces. I want to see what I'm working on, and not waste time cursing at falling wrenches. :)
I feel your sentiment here, but I get lazy and then when I drop things I get mad at the engineers for making it hard to work on.

Ubu2ibme2: Cool paint job... and seat. Somebody loved that bike.
BrettP: Man, I was just cursing Honda the other day for that. (Damn return cable)

There's really nothing to them or how they are mounted, other than stuff in the way.
Once you get down into it, there are just a couple of nuts on the bottom securing it to the bike.
I would put in some dialectic grease in the electronic connections when assembling.

If you can turn a wrench, or chew gum, should be easy to do.
Alt

Back