• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cold Start Issue

Durango

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I posted a similar query last year, however this year it’s slightly different. (CB 750 1995)

It’s been unused since October 22 apart from occasional start-up, fitted new battery and air cleaner.

It will fire up after a couple of prods (temp at mo is 30c) and using full choke it will shoot up to 3k then fall back to tick over (which is uneven). As it warms, I back off choke as revs rise, and when fully warm it will respond to throttle ok , but until then, the slightest touch of throttle it will stall or cut instantly. It will also frequently 'pop’ through exhaust. In the past, I could back off some choke soon after it was running, but now only when fully hot.

I have checked vac balance and it looks spot-on. Have stripped and tested the fuel tap and seems ok. Can’t attempt a road test as its not insured/taxed as yet. So, like fuel starvation until fully warm. Could it be old fuel, gummed carbs, leaking airbox, or some other problem?

I've stripped the carbs, cleaned and re-built, and in process of re-installing. I did find two pilot jets partially blocked, however the carb insides were very clean with no trace of varnish/gum etc.

Problem fixed- down to blocked pilots and old fuel.

Last edited:
Back