• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch housing rattle

brettp

CB750 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good evening, all. I've never done a clutch rebuild so I'm in new waters.
While warning up the bike, I hear a rattle from the clutch housing. When I pull the clutch lever in it goes away. Is this a symptom of weak/worn springs?

Hey Brett. Is the noise worse after it warms up? You might have a problem with the dampeners in the clutch housing. Someone else had a similar problem on here but never heard back what he found. I posted this for him.

https://www.vintagecb750.com/parts/instructions/73-1131.pdf
1709087761968.jpeg

Hey, Loose Chain.
No, I don't think it is worse. I think it is consistent throughout warm up and the ride. I didn't get a chance to ride today but I'll pay attention to that once I do.
I read the FSM and I don't see the dampeners mentioned at all. Where do they sit?

I know it's been a while since I posted my original question. The clutch rattle goes away (mostly) after warmed up and a ride. I think this started when I put Rotella in it. I know some people will say the Rotella is used by many people. I think I might try draining it and putting the 10W-40 motorcycle valvoline back in to see what happens.
Thoughts from others on the Rotella?

I really don't see the need to stray too far from what the manufacturer suggests. It's an alternative but it's not the holy grail that some people think. If you go on any forum, whether it's motorcycles, cars, boats etc, when someone starts a thread asking what kind of oil do you use, you get dozens of different theories. The oil that Honda recommends seems to work just fine.

I agree. I tried the Rotella because it's half the price. I'll drop it and report back. Maybe I'm just an outlier.

I have always said that changing oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do so don't worry about the cost now because it will save you plenty down the road.

Back