• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

After market front brakes for k1 750

Cbguy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I did a brief search in the forum, I did not see any discussion on this specific question. I have an old 71 CB750 anyone who rides them knows the front brakes can be pretty soft. I have been floating the idea around for a while of replacing the entire front brake system with something newer that has better stopping power. I would like to hear anybody's thoughts if they've replaced the front brakes, if they know anything about replacing the front brakes with better brakes, if they know a good product anything would be appreciated. Thank you. Also, I did just rebuild the master cylinder last winter, so no leaks.

Here are a couple thoughts.
First, have you considered simply changing your brake lines to braided metal type? I swapped mine out on a previous bike and felt like braking improved. I don't have numbers to back up my impression, and it wasn't as amazing as say...double front disc brakes, but it was better.

Second, have you considered putting a second stock K1 brake on your right side? People have varying opinions on whether it was "too hard" to do themselves, or quite easy. I did it on my 74' and it was moderately hard. I'm not a mechanic and there was no Youtube around yet to help me. I did have the manual, but... Hahaha. The manual... lol I just sort of did what was necessary at the time.

I can't recall precisely what I did, but I wouldn't say it was all that much harder to accomplish than a lot of the things that we old bike riders end up doing anyway. I had to split the lines so there would be 1 into 2, and I believe I accomplished that with a new banjo bolt that had two holes, which I got off another Honda (maybe a Goldwing). Naturally I bought braided lines. I most certainly DID NOT have to use a lathe, or put a new master cylinder on. If I recall, I had to grind my speedo drive plate (a plate behind the speedo drive unit, not the unit itself).

At any rate, I did it with minimal cursing, no shouting or breaking any laws of nature, and the brakes worked. Double front stock brakes are very doable.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll definitely be looking into that as an option. At the vet least a braided line. The stock master cylinder was able to handle both brakes? Did you get a new front wheel with discs on both sides?

This discussion has refreshed my memory a little bit. I'll try not to repeat myself, but sorry if I do. I did this in 2000. Internet was dial-up, so I wasn't about to "Google it", Youtube wasn't a thing, and I didn't know any other CB750 owners. I only knew that double front disc brakes "could" be done because the forks came pre-drilled so that we could do it...if we could figure it out. The manual I had read like the job was a piece of cake, but of course didn't detail how to do it, so I just sort of did it using "The Force" (lol).

Now that I have the benefit of looking at Youtube, and forums, I see that there are a lot of CB750 owners with dual-front disc brakes, doing it very different ways. Quite a few people agree that we should have a bigger master cylinder, but I just used my stock K4 m.c. (as you can see in the picture here). I drove it that way for a year, on my daily driver, going to work, touring, etc. Maybe it's better with another bike's master cylinder, I don't know. Maybe it was dangerous! Not as dangerous as riding around Seattlites I tell ya!

At the time, in Seattle, folks with old bikes all went to a motorcycle salvage place called "Bent Bike" and dug through their bins of overpriced crap. For that reason, I can't really say which bike my double banjo bolt came off of, but I think it was from a 70's Goldwing.

I ran a braided line from the stock m.c., to my stock, in-line brake switch unit. From there, I had 2 braided lines on that long banjo bolt (which had holes for both lines of course). Those 2 lines split off and lead to both brakes. Stock K7/K8 calipers.

As you can see from these photos, I used my stock wheel, stock forks, and 2 stock CB750 brake discs. I went with K7 front brakes (because I had them). K7/K8 front brakes are best for this job IMO, because they clamp onto the caliper holder (the "arm") from the OUTSIDE, using 12mm bolts. Going through the spokes to remove your brake from the back (K6 and older) sucks anyway, but it's worse when you have two calipers.

I "think" I had to use longer hub bolts. For sure I had to "customize" my speedo gear box retainer. I distinctly remember that a 4" grinder was involved. Sorry I cannot remember if I did anything special with the axle spacers. I don't think so, because that's the kind of p.i.t.a. stuff I remember.

I've read something about people having trouble with the 2nd caliper mount proximity to the wheel... I didn't have any trouble, but you might want to research that.

If you decide to do this, when you get to the point where you're about to install the second caliper, have the wheel on by then. Don't try to do up both brakes and hope you can squeeze in that front wheel. lol

I think it's worth it. Not so much for stopping power, but because Honda put those holes there for us to use.

PS Sorry, I know that you were asking about after-market, not stock.

1974CB750K (6).jpg

1974 CB750K Double Disc (1).JPG

Last edited:
Back