'81 K - Exhaust camshaft removal

JMC

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello riders,

I'm trying to pull the camshafts out so I can eventually get to the pistons (trying to find reason for a seize).

What am I missing on pulling the exhaust cam off? I have already backed off/pulled out the bolt (see pic).

What else is keeping the chain tight / how do I accomplish this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20231221_201522~2.jpg
    20231221_201522~2.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hello riders,

I'm trying to pull the camshafts out so I can eventually get to the pistons (trying to find reason for a seize).

What am I missing on pulling the exhaust cam off? I have already backed off/pulled out the bolt (see pic).

What else is keeping the chain tight / how do I accomplish this?

Thank you!
I’m pretty sure you need to undo the bolts on the sprocket (separates the big one from the small one) to remove the chain.

I’m pretty sure you need to undo the bolts on the sprocket (separates the big one from the small one) to remove the chain.
Yes, I know. This issue was the engine was seized, so I couldn't get to both bolts on the sprocket.

Luckily, some percussive reasoning on the crankshaft finally worked and I was able to unseize the engine and unbolt the sprocket, though I will say there was a lovely oil geyser effect that painted the wall :) .

Now I need to drop the engine and start the rebuild (should've done this first).

Attachments

• Unseize.JPG
    Unseize.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 13
Yes, I know. This issue was the engine was seized, so I couldn't get to both bolts on the sprocket.

Luckily, some percussive reasoning on the crankshaft finally worked and I was able to unseize the engine and unbolt the sprocket, though I will say there was a lovely oil geyser effect that painted the wall :) .

Now I need to drop the engine and start the rebuild (should've done this first).
Ohh, exciting stuff. Glad you are moving it forward. Mi e was fully seized and I ended up needed to drill out a couple of the pistons. All rebuilt now so working on the frame.

Back