• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

75 CB750 rotor anomaly or ?

Ktom1978

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just got a CB750 unstuck . It wasn’t stuck all that much . I put a concoction of volitale chemicals in the cylinder and turned the rotor with a pipe wrench.
The mystery ( to me as I’ve never unstuck a cb750 ) The rotor turns freely on the crank counter clockwise but not clockwise ( with pipe wrench or big plies on outside of rotor ). What would be the reason for this. At first I thought I might have sheered a key or something but if that was the case it would rotate freely clockwise. ( I tried not to turn clockwise much because the engine rotates normally counter clockwise. )
Any answers or am I hallucinating ? ( entirely possible after breathing acetone )

There is not a key. It is a smooth taper. I would say it wasnt tight enough and it has spun at some point....guess it is galled in a way that it only grips in one direction. I assume you are on the rotor and not the gear?

Yes, the rotor that rotates in the alternator.
I guess when I used a pipe wrench on it to get the engine unstuck it loosened ? It is bizarre that it won’t go the other way at all.

If a valve shim popped out of the bucket, the cam lobe will lodge itself in the bucket instead of riding on the shim. Have you looked at the valve train?

It kicks over fine. No obstruction or rough spots but I need to pull the alternator off again and check the rotor bolt

Back