• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1983 CB750SC nighthawk

geri

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi my dear dudes,

I would like to ask you a question about my bike. I have rebuilt my carb (taking it apart, cleaning reassembly) and now my bike iddles nicely, but when i pull the trothle, it revs up around 4000-6000 rpm and is never coming down. When i adjust the iddle knob than it goues lower and slowly dies. Wont start, only if i pull the trothle, than starts and dies. If i adjust back the iddle speed knob than starts and if i pull the trothle the same again. Anybody have met the same issue? I am a newbie. Maybe bad carb sinc?

Forget a pic of the beast
20230824_144345.jpg

Air leak in the boots or carb sync are most likely.
Thank you for the idea. You think a leak between the airbox and the carb or a leak between tha carb and the engine itself? I mean i had new rubbers for between the carb and engine and the brake fluid test does not show negative results only in between the airbox and the carb

Thank you for the idea. You think a leak between the airbox and the carb or a leak between tha carb and the engine itself? I mean i had new rubbers for between the carb and engine and the brake fluid test does not show negative results only in between the airbox and the carb
First, I wouldn't use brake fluid. Or starter fluid. Use carb cleaner. And as the bike idles, spray around all boots.

The potential leak you're looking for would be between the engine and carbs. If you don't have a leak there, keep checking for other issues. I had a similar problem once with a Yamaha XS400 from the fuel mixture screws being turn in too much so it was running lean.

First, I wouldn't use brake fluid. Or starter fluid. Use carb cleaner. And as the bike idles, spray around all boots.
Done and done. I bought this bike last year. Disassembled the carbs, cleaned them (with carb cleaner, and high pressure air) and reassembled them back together. After I have did the leak test (with brake cleaner) and it seems like the carb is leaking from between the airbox and the carb. Did a sync on the carbs too, but maybe it was not correct.

The potential leak you're looking for would be between the engine and carbs. If you don't have a leak there, keep checking for other issues. I had a similar problem once with a Yamaha XS400 from the fuel mixture screws being turn in too much so it was running lean.
Thank you for the idea. I was thinking the same, the leaking issue is more of a problem between the engine and the carb. Mine second idea was the mixture too. I have unscrewed the mixture screw, maybe even a little too much, because when I took the machine on a test drive I nearly lost one of the mixture screws. So what do you think? Either a wrong carb cleaning ir sync?

I'm guessing you haven't yet unscrewed the idle knob to bring the idle down. I would definitely do that before anything else. It seems like we might be chasing simmering that isn't a problem by allowing the idle to remain so high.

I'm guessing you haven't yet unscrewed the idle knob to bring the idle down. I would definitely do that before anything else. It seems like we might be chasing simmering that isn't a problem by allowing the idle to remain so high.
So basically you are suggesting to adjust only the iddle speed before doing anything. I like the idea, because it is the easiest solution :) thank you will def. do it before anything. Thank you. I will come back to you after i have tried it.

Back