Squeaky brakes

kal-el428

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last summer I replaced my front pads because the old pads were old and howling like mad when I applied the brakes. I replaced them with EBC pads and the screeching went away, until today… The screeching started to come back on a 20ish mile ride today. I used a brake quite type of product on the back of the pads during installation.
Is there something I can do to help rid myself of this annoying problem???

Maybe there's a piece of metal stuck in one the pads. I'd pull it all apart and take a look. Maybe apply more anti-squeal to the back of the pads. Does it happen all of the time or only when you apply the brakes?

Could be the material of the pads also. Some materials will squeal once they warm up, nothing you can do about it. I at least scotch brite the rotors, at a minimum when changing pads other wise the pads may not seat correct and can cause a squeal. Also check to make sure the piston isnt hanging up and the caliper to rotor clearance is adjusted right or you will have a pad that is constantly in contact with the rotor causing noise.

I spent a few hours today working on both my front and rear brakes and I am still having issues with the fronts. I examined the caliper and noticed a good amount of buildup of dirt/dust all around the pads. I determined that it was anti-squeal building up and holding dirt from the brake job I did last year. I cleaned all surfaces and applied a new light layer of anti-squeal to the pads. I also lightly sanded the pads as they had groves warn in to them ( I assumed from dirt being pulled into them). Next, I examined the rotors and noticed that there were 2 very tiny sharp points along the surface. I sanded them smooth and cleaned the rotor, but I still am getting a very loud squeal when I apply the brakes.

You're putting the anti-squeal on the back on the pads right? From your description it sounds like you may have put in on the pad friction surface.

You're putting the anti-squeal on the back on the pads right? From your description it sounds like you may have put in on the pad friction surface.

HA! Definitely putting it on the back. What I think happened is that I used too much and it oozed out the side, caught dirt and dust in the anit squeal and then the dirt was pulled on to the rotor thus getting between the pad and rotor.

My bike has the EBC pads on the front and started a squeal when nearing a complete stop. I have checked them and can't figure out why they are doing it so I just roll with it. I will likely change rotors and different brand pads later on to try and eliminate it.

Oh, I cant take it anymore. Time for a new set of pads!
How aggressive can I be with sanding/cleaning the rotors before I should consider other measures, like a new one?

I had a similar problem and fixed it by adjusting the spring/screw at the top of the caliper. That did most of it, but I still had some noise till I replaced the o ring in the caliper. Silence (for now)!

HA! Definitely putting it on the back. What I think happened is that I used too much and it oozed out the side, caught dirt and dust in the anit squeal and then the dirt was pulled on to the rotor thus getting between the pad and rotor.

Okay.. just makin' sure! :)

I wouldn't be too aggressive with cleaning brake rotors.. You wouldn't want to create high and low spots. Some light scuffing/cleaning should be okay. :twocents:

So, the squeaking and howling is all gone!!
Here is how I fixed it.
First, I disassembled the fronts, again… Cleaned off all the anti-squeal. Then, I lightly sanded the pads. Next, I took a scotchbrite pad to the rotors and cleaned them really well.
I then compressed the caliper piston nearly all the way before reinstalling the pads with a light layer of anti-squeal on the back side. I reassembled the caliper to the bracket. Then (and here is what I believe my saving grace) I set the brake adjustment while only the stationary pad was in contact with the rotor. Went for a ride around the block and to my surprise, 99% of the squealing was gone!

This is proof that reading your Clymer for even simple things like brakes is a good idea!

Yes the adjustment is critical to correct brake operation. Glad you got it fixed.

So, the squeaking and howling is all gone!!
Here is how I fixed it.
First, I disassembled the fronts, again… Cleaned off all the anti-squeal. Then, I lightly sanded the pads. Next, I took a scotchbrite pad to the rotors and cleaned them really well.
I then compressed the caliper piston nearly all the way before reinstalling the pads with a light layer of anti-squeal on the back side. I reassembled the caliper to the bracket. Then (and here is what I believe my saving grace) I set the brake adjustment while only the stationary pad was in contact with the rotor. Went for a ride around the block and to my surprise, 99% of the squealing was gone!

This is proof that reading your Clymer for even simple things like brakes is a good idea!

So you adjust it til the stationary pad is just barely touching the rotor and leave it like that??? I have mine adjusted to where it is about 1/32" of the rotor, my front brakes squeal like a stuck pig...I am going to have the rotor turned and see if that fixes the noise...

So you adjust it til the stationary pad is just barely touching the rotor and leave it like that??? I have mine adjusted to where it is about 1/32" of the rotor, my front brakes squeal like a stuck pig...I am going to have the rotor turned and see if that fixes the noise...

kinda. I set it as my Clymer states, and I will paraphrase... support the bike under the engine so the front wheel is completely off the ground. Set the adjustment screw till there is some drag on the wheel when spining. Then back off the adjustment until there is no resistance.

kinda. I set it as my Clymer states, and I will paraphrase... support the bike under the engine so the front wheel is completely off the ground. Set the adjustment screw till there is some drag on the wheel when spining. Then back off the adjustment until there is no resistance.

Yeah...thats about how I did mine, I did put cheap pads on it so I think putting a freshly machined rotor and good pads should fix my noise...right now I'm trying to chase down an electronic ignition system to install then I will try to fix the brake noise

Back