• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Old fart bein' a noob...

I neglected to re-synchronize my carburetors after tearing them down a few weeks ago. I guess my mind was too scattered around other areas on the bike. So my #1 cylinder was going pop-pop-pop and the bike generally idled like crap around local streets, etc. Tried tinkering with idle screws and then it hit me. "Did I ... oh crap."

Synched them up today and holy moly. The deep-clean did work after all, I just didn't finish the job. Went out for a ride, and it was a motorcycle! This was my first day to actually ride this bike and not wonder if I was going to have to call a tow truck on the way back. The rest of the time has been sort of...Shadow of 750... jallopy style. Still doesn't run as well as other 750s I had before, but at least it doesn't feel like I have to ask, "Are you okay? Do you need a break?" I'm also pretty sure that this is the first time I didn't come home from riding this bike smelling like gas.

Last edited:
Awesome! Glad this has worked out.

What do you suppose it is missing in order to run like other 750s you've had?
Mine runs pretty well, I think. I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first CB.

I made a new thread so I could add video and so on. But to answer the question, it just sounds sloppy. That's not a great description, but I felt like my other CB750Ks, K2-K7 all sounded more together, tight, or solid... without a lot of extra weird sounds. It's like if you're listing to a metal song and for some reason there's a cowbell in there. Wtf? Cowbell?!

I can hear an unhealthy metal jingling, and my throttle is still *&@(#. Idles much better than before, but if I just suddenly twist the throttle real quick it sounds like it's trying to clear it's throat. Anyway, I posted a video. You'll hear it. I'm not that far off I think. ...unless somebody hears it and says "Bro, your hephalator flange-gate is blown. You need to pull the engine and call a witch-doctor, pronto." I don't even own a hephalator flange-gate tool, so I'll be totally f...f...fandangled.

I've found that ultrasonic cleaners don't make the carbs look any better, but they do a good job of cleaning internal passageways. Vapor blasting or vapor honing does wonders to make the outside look like new, but you have to be very careful to not get the media inside those small passageways.
I have to agree with you about ultrasonic cleaners, they do good job. I used ultrasonic cleaner along with simple green solution and hot water ( cleaner heats water to desired temperature). You have to pay attention which solution you chose due to softness of aluminium! Amount of crap that was left over in the cleaner was unbelievable.

I bought some fancy ultrasonic parts cleaner for $60 a gallon (that you dilute), but I think simple green works just as well.

My guess is any concentrated degreaser would work. I can't think of how they'd formulate it to make it "ultrasonic", but I'm no chemist.

edit: Ah, anti-foaming agents might be important.

Last edited:
Speaking of chemicals and carburetors...
The Berryman's Chem-Dip directions said something about NOT soaking carb-bodies becasue it will eat the plastic liner in the carburetors? Huh? Not in my carburetors...

Back