Rain riding and misfiring

raene

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I finally got my bike back together and out for a couple of rides, and it's been running great, but on my second outing to work I got trapped downtown needed to ride home in heavy rain. First time rain riding and I made it just fine, but the bike had some issues!

It was running great for the first half of my hour-long commute, but after sitting in heavier rain on the second half and moving into highway it started misfiring / clacking at idle (sounded like a plug wire shorting out to the engine rather than firing a spark?) and requiring some constant throttle to keep running. I was also enveloped in a cloud of mist every time I stopped, which got me some looks at stoplights! It's on the stock coils at the moment in the stock location, newish leads, and plugs with ~200kms on them.

Should I have to throttle up? Is it the engine getting cold while riding in heavy wind & rain and needing more fuel (should I be using the choke)? Is it the pods getting rain soaked? Reasonable to assume the coils could be shorting past the plugs to the body? Normal to see that much mist/smoke coming off the engine? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Had a bitch of a time tracking down some wiring issues before I got it running too, finally figured out the issue was broken / rusted out connections from the indicator panel to the headlight bucket... phew! After I de-loomed pretty much the whole harness. So I'm not ruling out that there's some bad connectivity or wiring issues still on the bike, but I did ride for 3-4 hours with the bike running fantastic before the rain started.

Pods will suck in the rain water and make the bike run like crap. I have that issue. I'm going to fabricate a rain shield for them and see if that fixes it.

Back