• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

No crank no start

uphillemu

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some help diagnosing a starting problem.

The bike: 1979 cb750k 10yr anniversary edition

The problem: I have headlights, brake lights, neutral and oil indicator lights, but no horn, blinkers, or start. When the starter button is depressed there is no sound. No click, no attempt to turn over.

The full story: I left the bike outside at a friend's for a few days and it did rain a bit. Bike started fine, but I noticed slow turn signals on the 20 minute ride to my brothers. I parked, went inside, and ten minutes later I experienced the problem above. I checked all the fuses, they look fine. The next morning I had dim turn signals for a few seconds and then nothing.

At this point I took a voltage reading of the battery and it read 10.6. I figured that was my problem, easy fix. I bought a new battery and it started right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes then shut it off for a few hours. I came back, started it again, and rode for about 1/2 an hour (light rain). Shut it off. Came back in another 1/2 an hour and am now experiencing the same initial problem.

Any suggestions appreciated. I love this bike and don't want to waste any of these last days of summer.

Did you charge the new battery? Gotta do that.

The charging system on these well known for repeat breakdowns, the rotor folds up. You need 14 volts charging at 3000 rpm, failing that you get to walk. Brand new battery better be reading from 12.6 to 12.8 or you got issues.

Back