Bike spitting air

Slantnose

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello again,

I posted originally about 2-3 weeks ago having some issues getting my bike running/keeping it running. From everything said here it sounded like I was running rich and needed a carb tune. While I don’t have a garage or the necessary tools to do that at the moment, I turned the idle up a bit and that seemed to put a bandaid on the issue. I am having a bit of a different problem now though.

When I start the bike, it pretty much fires right up, but there is this weird noise I am hearing, almost like it’s shooting some air out of somewhere. It goes pffffttttt pretty loud but also at random intervals so I’m having a tough time finding where it’s coming from. It also doesn’t do it every time I start it, and will even do it occasionally after the bike has warmed up. In addition to this, the bike is having a tough time staying alive when I come to a stop, it runs good until I get to a light or a stop sign, then the idle drops to 500rpm and I either give it some gas and it evens out then idles fine, or dies on the spot if I do nothing. I don’t know if these two issues are related as the second one seems like it could also be something with the carbs needing a tune.

Any insight or ideas on what’s happening here would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.

You likely have an air leak at the boots on either side of the carb, an exhaust leak. In addition to those, you need to pull the plugs to see what they look like.

Mrtwowheel reminded me that you could also have a loose spark plug. Pull those plugs to see what they look like and you will notice if one was loose.

Back