New to this...HELP!

member4078

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I got this 1980 CB750C a year or so ago and have been slowly trying to turn it into something with a little more style. I am going for a relaxed cafe racer look. Put K and N pod filters on it as well as a Vance and Hines exhaust I got a good deal on, and had the carbs rebuilt and re-jetted by an older friend of mine who has been working on these things since they were new. He also did a compression test, so I know the motor is solid. But I need advice on a few things. First, where could I get a flatter seat? Do most people just cut down the original? Or do they just build a custom pan and have it upholstered? Where is the best place to get a frame hoop for the back? Is rebuilding the forks difficult and if not where could I buy new seals and such? How about the battery? I don’t really have the knowledge to rewire everything and hide the battery, but does anybody make a cool battery box? Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Picture 1 is where I am at now, picture 2 is where I'd like to be eventually!

Last edited:
If that header is the drag one which it looks like it is, you are going to hit it every time you turn to the right. Made for straight line drag racing only.

You and that other guy tossed 5-7 hp. with no collector on end of pipe.

You make your own flat seat bottom, the OEM is NOT flat. Same with hoop. Forks not hard, parts everywhere.

I wonder just why people go to such effort to create a big hole in the middle of the bike. Getting rid of fender and such to simplify lines just to make that big hole? Ugly. But relax, you GOTTA rewire to make that hole work. You'll be making your own battery box as well.

What a shame, looks like a decent restoration candidate... I think the way they were made is classy and has style...

750left2half.jpg

Thanks for the advice. And no, that is not the drag pipe and I do have the collector as well. It just wasn't on when I took the picture. I was thinking for the battery I might just make some nice stainless steel side panels and drill them out to hide the battery and wiring but yet look significantly nicer than the original plastic panels. I am just not a fan of the way the bike looked originally.

Back