• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

how to minimal electrical components.

zachnunes

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I am building a bike and only want the what i need to make the bike run. I have a break light withe a lever momentary switch, a head light with a toggle switch to turn it off, and a kill switch. I don't want a starter motor so I shouldn't need a big battery or no battery? hopefully someone has done the same or can point me into the write direction. thanks.

You need a battery, the stock system barely puts out enough to keep the battery charged, at idle with the headlight on the system is actually in a slight discharge state. I would keep the starter motor, I have put hidden starter buttons under the seat to hide them, other then the button the only other extra part is the small solenoid. The kick starter was only meant as a backup to the starter motor it was never designed strong enough to be a primary starting system. If you do ditch the starter I would pull the side cover and remove the small starter idler gear, you may get a small rattle noise if you don't also no need for extra parts turning if you dont need them.

First, this:

Wire%2BCutter.jpg

And then this:

simple_wiring_diagram.jpg

You could go with a magneto and ditch everything but the kill switch but if you want to make it street legal, you'll need most of the stuff in that "really cool" picture above.

The battery also helps regulate the voltage in these older systems. Without it to absorb juice at higher RPM's you can burn out your lights.

Back