• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Is it the Charging Rotor?

detroitmattg

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm chasing an issue with my Battery/Charging System. When I start the bike it turns over aggressively and the engine starts and runs. At some point in the near future (between 20-40 miles) I will grab the clutch, the bike will die and then the engine won't turn over again leaving me stranded. I'll bring it home and charge the battery and the bike will turn over and start aggressively again. I'm thinking of replacing the Charging Rotor, but how do I know if I need to replace the Stator as well? Or maybe it's simply the Stator or another part and not the Charging Rotor? Should I just replace everything and breathe life into the whole charging system? Just kinda looking for some direction because once I do this I want it to be solved. Getting stranded isn't that much fun.

I was having similar problems but I saw a video that stated most of the charging problems on the old cb750's were caused by the voltage regulator. I took out the voltage regulator and cleaned the points inside. Then adjusted the regulator. That solved the problem. Try that first before you start changing the system.

Thank you. So far a brand new battery has solved the problem. I’m also checking the charge before/after a long ride and it’s charging during the ride. I think my 6 year old battery finally quit. I hope to sell my '81 750 soon. I just don't ride it much anymore.

I have a 73 cb750k, that I bought new in 73. I am planning to ride from southwest Ohio to Birmingham, AL in Sept. I have been riding test runs for the last couple of weeks to make sure it is ready for a long trip.

That's a hell of a trip. I once met a guy with my same '81 and he rode from MI to CA back in the early 80's. That sounded like a real grind. Yours sounds much more doable. Ride safe!

In 1970 my brother and I rode Honda 305 Super Hawks from central Indiana to Seattle Was. and back. If you take care of those old bikes and don't try to set any speed records they will go a long ways.

Back