• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Guys please help 1975 Honda cb750k here fixed for a customer and after sitting overnight it lost spark .

fastcat1977

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have bench tested the coils , both are in a good ohms rating with caps , I have 12 v going to them with stop switch in run position , points and condensers were all working day before, ran great, parked the bike and next night went to crank it , it sputtered and ran like crap , now has pretty much lost spark on all plugs , gap is set and clean on points , I went ahead and ordered new points and condensers anyway since I wanted to completely rule that out but just crazy how after sitting it did this . I wire wheeled where the coil bracket touches frame but I'm gonna do it again and make sure I got bright metal frame touching the coil bracket so coils have good ground, I have a newer battery showing over 12V with a small 2 amp jump box plugged to it to keep it charged while starting it and so forth, please guys I need help , I have a good bit of experience but not a master like I'm sure some of you guys are. Please help me , just had told customer that bike was running great and went out to do a maintenance crank and ran like doo doo.

All plugs are new NGK non resistor, and recommended plugs and like I said ran perfectly night before last , I'm not seeing any skinned wires or broken wires anywhere on the condenser wires or the coils , just need some help guys , I'm pretty good with bikes but was up till 3:30 this morning and still stomped.

When you say "pretty much lost spark", What does that mean? Is it weak spark, no spark? Does it flash once and then quit?

Just didn't make since the likely hood of both condenser crapping out after sitting and coil has 12v on black and white wire but not putting out anything, coil on primary side shows 5. 0hms on the secondary shows 25k to 26k ohms with plug caps , shows about 15k ohms with plug caps removed and just testing the plug wires

The condenser might be bad. Try a condenser, any old condenser you have just for a short test.

Did you accidently bump the kill switch?
No it's in the run position, and I'm getting 12v to primary side of coils , I just grinded down to bare shiny metal and hooked back up still no visible spark

Attachments

• IMG20240403110653.jpg
    IMG20240403110653.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20240403110702.jpg
    IMG20240403110702.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 9
No it's in the run position, and I'm getting 12v to primary side of coils , I just grinded down to bare shiny metal and hooked back up still no visible spark
I even just now separated the kill switch housing and layed it back on or over the handle bar just to make sure , and still nothing

Update update, got it all back together after giving the coils a good bare metal contact and the plug spark can jump a 3' gap..lol . Now just gotta install the new points and put in better time .

Back