• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CDI question

loxley007

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m doing a full rewire of my 1979 CB750 and I have a question about the CDI unit.

Firstly, I only seem to have one CDI unit (see photo). Does this seem right? I understood there are supposed to be two (that’s what the wiring diagram looks like).

Secondly, if there is only one then in terms of wiring I’m not sure what the white wire goes to. The wiring diagram says ‘pick up’. Can anyone indicate what this is? For the other wires, I can see that green is ground, white/black, blue and yellow all go to the coils.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi all, I’m doing a full rewire of my 1979 CB750 and I have a question about the CDI unit.

Firstly, I only seem to have one CDI unit (see photo). Does this seem right? I understood there are supposed to be two (that’s what the wiring diagram looks like).

Secondly, if there is only one then in terms of wiring I’m not sure what the white wire goes to. The wiring diagram says ‘pick up’. Can anyone indicate what this is? For the other wires, I can see that green is ground, white/black, blue and yellow all go to the coils.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew
"The wiring diagram says ‘pick up’. Can anyone indicate what this is"? This normally refers to the electronic points or what would be Points in older bikes. Check out the area of the crank (probably right side) for a magnettic rotating switch mounted on the crank shaft. Good luck.

"The wiring diagram says ‘pick up’. Can anyone indicate what this is"? This normally refers to the electronic points or what would be Points in older bikes. Check out the area of the crank (probably right side) for a magnettic rotating switch mounted on the crank shaft. Good luck.

Cheers, I’ll give that a look tomorrow.

Big question though…should there be one CDI or two units?

Looking at a 1980 DOHC Wiring drawing, I see two ignition coils and two spark units (CDI). I'm assuming your '79 is setup the same.

Attachments

• 1980 DOHC Wiring.jpg
    1980 DOHC Wiring.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 14
Back