• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wiring, controls and instrumentation

loxley007

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m at the stage of my build (cafe racer not restoring) that I’m looking at wiring, controls and instrumentation.

My options are to do a minimal but expensive upgrade with a M-Unit or NWT X21 and custom controls and instruments or rewire the loom and keep the stock look albeit on a cafe racer frame.

A couple of questions:

1) has anyone done a complete rewire and if so, any tips for a beginner?

2) has anyone integrated the NWT X21 or M-Unit into existing instruments/controls? Any issues/tips?

3) in terms of reliability, will I get a reliability boost using a X21/M-Unit over a new rewiring of the stock system??

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

With a new rewiring of the stock electrical system, as long as you do it right, your build will be just as electrically reliable as it was out of the factory. The biggest "killer" of these old motorcycles in electrical terms is corrosion at the terminals, especially ground terminals that meet the engine and frame. It's on you to ensure every connection you make is solid, vibration-proof, and resistant to corrosion. If you do those three correctly at every single connection and perfectly replicate the original wiring diagram (where you haven't changed it with a new gauge setup) you'll have no wiring problems.
There's nothing inherently unreliable about the original wires unless they've been physically damaged, as far as I know. They're stranded copper wire just like anything else. They'll oxidize just a bit where the copper is exposed but that can be cleaned and polished off. I bought a used complete wiring harness for my bike from 1980 off of Ebay and tested it with a multimeter. Every connection checked out perfectly. There was a bit of patina on the terminals here and there but the multimeter said everything was good with low to no measurable resistance.

The X21 Plus kit you mentioned comes with a set of handlebar controls that look like cheap junk you can get for $10 on Ebay. The unit itself looks like one huge expensive integrated circuit that you buy to avoid learning how to do wiring -- sure, it may make wiring the whole bike yourself from scratch easier, but diagnosis if you have issues down the road becomes way more difficult. If it were me I'd save my money and learn how to read and replicate the factory wiring diagrams. $300 can buy more than enough wires and electrical tape to rebuild a complete harness and that unit doesn't exactly look like my idea of quality construction.

I haven't installed an M-unit but any univeral gauge unit will have its own install procedure and they're all pretty similar. Here's what I ended up doing with my own machine.

I replaced the stock cluster on my 1980 CB750K because when I opened up the outer cover of the original gauge cluster, I found that every piece of plastic in the cluster (every part of the cluster except the support bracket basically) was cracked in some way. Some were cracked in multiple places. I didn't trust it to keep bugs and moisture out of the original mechanical gauges, or even stay on the bike for very long, with so many cracks.
I first bought a pair of "mini" chrome-housing gauges, one speedometer/odometer with integrated warning lights and a tachometer to match. I think they came from 4into1. Both were cable-driven mechanical gauges. The odometer broke after 1.5 miles and I confirmed it wasn't the cable. Cheap Chinese junk, do not recommend.
After that I decided to pay up and bought a Koso TNT-01 multifunction gauge, which was about $200USD. It involved a good amount of custom wiring and some custom lathe work to replace the stock speedo drive unit and make a hideaway magnet solution for the new electronic speedometer sensor. These two steps were completely unnecessary and were done for cosmetic improvements. The cheap but functional solution is to epoxy the sensor magnets onto the rim of your front wheel and zip tie the sensor to the fork leg, and leave the stock speedometer drive gear in place.
The custom wiring involved taking every wire in the headlight bucket that went into the stock gauge cluster, separating them from their plugs, and soldering them into new plugs and a couple barrel connectors. Did the same thing on the wiring side for the new gauge. Had to match up the wiring diagram from the motorcycle harness with the one for the Koso gauge and that whole process took several hours of work, plus a couple sessions of correcting mistakes. There was one difference that I had to make up for between the Koso and the stock gauge cluster: the stock cluster had individual left/right turn signal indicator bulbs but the Koso only has one for both circuits. I had to solder in a diode, on a Y-pigtail, between the two positive wires for each turn signal indicator and the positive single wire for the Koso's.

If you are a total beginner to automotive/motorcycle wiring, the absolute best thing you can do is have someone who is experienced help you in person. There are plenty of tutorials online and I encourage you to read/watch plenty before attempting but there is no substitute for experience.

I really appreciate the response and the detail provided. Thank you.

With a new rewiring of the stock electrical system, as long as you do it right, your build will be just as electrically reliable as it was out of the factory. The biggest "killer" of these old motorcycles in electrical terms is corrosion at the terminals, especially ground terminals that meet the engine and frame. It's on you to ensure every connection you make is solid, vibration-proof, and resistant to corrosion. If you do those three correctly at every single connection and perfectly replicate the original wiring diagram (where you haven't changed it with a new gauge setup) you'll have no wiring problems.
There's nothing inherently unreliable about the original wires unless they've been physically damaged, as far as I know. They're stranded copper wire just like anything else. They'll oxidize just a bit where the copper is exposed but that can be cleaned and polished off. I bought a used complete wiring harness for my bike from 1980 off of Ebay and tested it with a multimeter. Every connection checked out perfectly. There was a bit of patina on the terminals here and there but the multimeter said everything was good with low to no measurable resistance.

The X21 Plus kit you mentioned comes with a set of handlebar controls that look like cheap junk you can get for $10 on Ebay. The unit itself looks like one huge expensive integrated circuit that you buy to avoid learning how to do wiring -- sure, it may make wiring the whole bike yourself from scratch easier, but diagnosis if you have issues down the road becomes way more difficult. If it were me I'd save my money and learn how to read and replicate the factory wiring diagrams. $300 can buy more than enough wires and electrical tape to rebuild a complete harness and that unit doesn't exactly look like my idea of quality construction.

I haven't installed an M-unit but any univeral gauge unit will have its own install procedure and they're all pretty similar. Here's what I ended up doing with my own machine.

I replaced the stock cluster on my 1980 CB750K because when I opened up the outer cover of the original gauge cluster, I found that every piece of plastic in the cluster (every part of the cluster except the support bracket basically) was cracked in some way. Some were cracked in multiple places. I didn't trust it to keep bugs and moisture out of the original mechanical gauges, or even stay on the bike for very long, with so many cracks.
I first bought a pair of "mini" chrome-housing gauges, one speedometer/odometer with integrated warning lights and a tachometer to match. I think they came from 4into1. Both were cable-driven mechanical gauges. The odometer broke after 1.5 miles and I confirmed it wasn't the cable. Cheap Chinese junk, do not recommend.
After that I decided to pay up and bought a Koso TNT-01 multifunction gauge, which was about $200USD. It involved a good amount of custom wiring and some custom lathe work to replace the stock speedo drive unit and make a hideaway magnet solution for the new electronic speedometer sensor. These two steps were completely unnecessary and were done for cosmetic improvements. The cheap but functional solution is to epoxy the sensor magnets onto the rim of your front wheel and zip tie the sensor to the fork leg, and leave the stock speedometer drive gear in place.
The custom wiring involved taking every wire in the headlight bucket that went into the stock gauge cluster, separating them from their plugs, and soldering them into new plugs and a couple barrel connectors. Did the same thing on the wiring side for the new gauge. Had to match up the wiring diagram from the motorcycle harness with the one for the Koso gauge and that whole process took several hours of work, plus a couple sessions of correcting mistakes. There was one difference that I had to make up for between the Koso and the stock gauge cluster: the stock cluster had individual left/right turn signal indicator bulbs but the Koso only has one for both circuits. I had to solder in a diode, on a Y-pigtail, between the two positive wires for each turn signal indicator and the positive single wire for the Koso's.

If you are a total beginner to automotive/motorcycle wiring, the absolute best thing you can do is have someone who is experienced help you in person. There are plenty of tutorials online and I encourage you to read/watch plenty before attempting but there is no substitute for experience.

I installed a M-Unit Blue on my CB750 KZ 1979 last winter. Keeping most of the factory plugs (for easy swapping of parts) it was a pretty easy install. I did it with all new Motone buttons (3 + 3) so cant really tell you anything about implementing it with original instruments.

The M-Unit is very expensive but the build quality is perfect, I paired it with an aftermarket universal wire kit and two Daytona gauges as well as Motogadgets NFC lock.

Two problems this far:
- Bluetooth only works good with one of my phones, the other on one works sometimes
- I had to disconnect/reconnect it from the battery once because bike was completely dead.

What bike are you gonna install it on? I can help you with wiring questions if needed

I installed a M-Unit Blue on my CB750 KZ 1979 last winter. Keeping most of the factory plugs (for easy swapping of parts) it was a pretty easy install. I did it with all new Motone buttons (3 + 3) so cant really tell you anything about implementing it with original instruments.

The M-Unit is very expensive but the build quality is perfect, I paired it with an aftermarket universal wire kit and two Daytona gauges as well as Motogadgets NFC lock.

Two problems this far:
- Bluetooth only works good with one of my phones, the other on one works sometimes
- I had to disconnect/reconnect it from the battery once because bike was completely dead.

What bike are you gonna install it on? I can help you with wiring questions if needed

Hi, it’s good to know someone else’s experience. I’m installing it on a 1979 CB750. After a lot of consideration I’ve decided on replacing all the wiring and parts to go for a completely clean and minimal look.

I’ve put the rest of the parts on eBay (instrument cluster, headlight, taillight).

I’ll have a look at Daytona gauges as definitely wanting something sleek.

With the buttons, I’ve been wondering whether they are confusing…eg click the left top three times for headlight on etc. any thoughts?

Thanks,

Hi, it’s good to know someone else’s experience. I’m installing it on a 1979 CB750. After a lot of consideration I’ve decided on replacing all the wiring and parts to go for a completely clean and minimal look.

I’ve put the rest of the parts on eBay (instrument cluster, headlight, taillight).

With the buttons, I’ve been wondering whether they are confusing…eg click the left top three times for headlight on etc. any thoughts?

Thanks,
Using the buttons while riding is very easy, you just have to get used to all buttons looking the same. Only thing I don´t like with my setup is the double click for ignition off, but this is solved by the NFC lock since i got the tag sewn into my right glove. Just have to show it to the reader and the whole bike shuts of and activates the alarm.

Two problems this far:

Thanks,
Using the buttons while riding is very easy, you just have to get used to all buttons looking the same. Only thing I don´t like with my setup is the double click for ignition off, but this is solved by the NFC lock since i got the tag sewn into my right glove. Just have to show it to the reader and the whole bike shuts of and activates the alarm.

Good to know it’s fairly easy to get used to.

Thanks.

Back