• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750A HONDAMATIC trying to get started. Need some help.

Jabez5885

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 Hondamatic I cannot get started. Been sitting for 3yrs. Took off air filter and tried starting it without a filter. Sprayed Carb Cleaner in it, and it puttered a bit. Has cut mufflers if that means anything, but I've been playing with the carbs all days trying to adjust the fuel/air ratio, but still cannot get it running.

.....ALSO.... gas is coming out of the bottom of one of the middle Carbs every 20 seconds or so being completely turned off.
Do your ignition plugs spark? Is the battery at a healthy charge? Need more info. Petcock on, off. How much gas is leaking?

well of course the petcock is on....how else would gas be flowing to the carbs that are leaking? Anyways yes the spark is good. The oil light is on though, maybe a sensor is preventing it from starting? My guess is I need to really clean up those carbs and replace the oil and filter. Could be wrong though?

Petcocks can break, ask me how I woke up to a gallon of gas on the floor yesterday lol

Oil light can be a big deal. The light shouldn't go out till the bike is started, showing you have oil pressure. You can disconnect the wire attached to the switch to see if the light goes out to test that. If its been sitting for three years you're going to want new oil anyways.

I'd say its probably the carburetors. If your feeling lazy you can just run seafoam through them in addition to carb cleaner, but I'd highly recommend cleaning them.

Fuel-Air-Ignition:
That's all the motor needs to get going.

Back