• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Another new member intro

A Rdnek

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I am Ron and from central Iowa. I am 66 years old. I got out of riding when I lived in Northern Va. 35 years ago. It just got to congested to ride. Had to ride for 2 hrs. in traffic just to get to somewhere to "ride". So now I live in a sleepy little town that is totally infested with Harley's, and I want one too, but I cannot afford the tattoos and wardrobe, and it would take me way too long to grow a gray ponytail. So I decided to do a better thing. I want to go back to my youth.:wink2:
My riding career started when I was 18 years old, and in the Army stationed in Paris France. Really though duty for a young single man.:yikes:
My first bike was a Honda 305 Dream. Next a CB450, then a 650 Triumph. Rode all over Europe for 2 years. Somethings I thought I needed to drag a net to recover all the parts that fell off the Triumph. Then went to the Pentagon in Washington DC. Picked up a CB500 twin. Next a Suzuki Titan500 (sweet bike). Then a CB 550/4, I think my hands are still tingling from that.:laugh: Then a 1965 Suzuki 750GT, by far the best bike I ever rode.:thumbsup: Then eventually a 1975 CB750 basket case. Rebuilt the 750 from nothing but pieces and a bunch of junk. It turned out wonderful and was a great experience. I really liked that bike, it had a certain amount of my blood in it. :yikes: I ended up trading it for a racing Go-Cart and spent tons of money on that for a couple years. After 2 seasons I got rid of that money pit and then just worked hard and prepared for retirement. So now here I am and find I didn't prepare enough... Anyway I am ready to ride again, and the SX 650 forum brought me here.
I would like to get a Harley but too much money for my budget. I could buy a few year old Sportster, and I love the look of the 1200 Nightster, but everyone tells me I would not like a Sportster, because they ride too rough.
I will not buy a Harley Clone. Even though I know some of them are VERY good. To me it is kind-of cloning your wife, why would you do that? :banghead:
I suppose the biggest thing that drives me toward Harley's is that wonderful sound. It is very hard for me for to resist that big V twin and short straight pipes. They run all over Iowa making that "joyful noise unto the Lord" and apparently it is legal, cause everyone here does it.:) I always have to listen and grin everytime one is near.
Anyway, forget the noise.
I have seen a few 750A Honda's listed on E-Bay and other places. That draws my interest, because I think it is cool, and I might like to try one. Dumb idea or not? I am not sure how it even works. Why is the HP turned way back on the Hondamatic? Can it be cranked up?, What about a 900 or larger kit with the Auto? Will it work?
Gone on TOOOOOO far.
Thanks
R:)n

Nice intro... I don't know a lot about the Hondamatics, but people say they use a Honda Civic torque converter. They have 2 gears, no clutch, and are tuned for low end power. A lot of the engine pieces like gaskets and things are hard to find. The carb holders are unavailable but I've read other CB750 carbs can be used and will give you a little more power. You could probably put a big bore on it, but that'll get costly and still probably won't be that fast. From what I've heard anyway.. :twocents:

I know there is a guy on another site that drag races a Hondamatic because it is dead consistent consistent. They were only made a couple of years and not many of them so parts are hard to find for the the transmission parts. Never had one or seen one in person but would like one just to have one.:)

This one caught my eye.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=1657186305840950909
I called and chatted with the owner today. he says it runs very nice, but starts hard cold. He has had it for 10 years, and has never done any tune up work to it. Only rides it occasionally. He says the worst thing about it is the clear coat on the top of the fuel tank is peeling. He will except an offer of 1200. IDK, I still think it is too much for that. Although it sure would be a great winter project, with cool results.
But anyway, now I have discovered PC 800s' DANG those things look perfect for me, and my short legs, and they are soooo unHarley on purpose.:bike:
R:)n
Ron

i just build a Hondamatic for a friend and all i can say about it is that i don't know how it works but it dose. it has every thing a cb750k or f would have just slow off the line my 750k smokes it all day but the Hondamatic a great cruising bike

Back