• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

79 CB750K Electrical Problem

Cobalt23

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am working on my new project, making sure I have spark, compression and fuel. I can only get it to turn over by jumping the posts on the starter solenoid.

- new solenoid
- new ignition switch
- replaced right hand controls (ie starter switch)
- new battery
- neutral switch seems to work, light goes out when put it in gear
- tried it while holding clutch in
- when I switch ignition key on, I get some dash lights and taillight. No horn, no headlight

Any ideas where to look next?

Thanks in advance

First thing that comes to mind is your starter switch. Is it the stock type or aftermarket? I ask because the OEM switch has multiple switches in there. It turns off the headlight when pushing the button and turns it back on when the button is released. Any other switch than the OEM might be a nightmare to wire and use correctly.

Start at the beginning. Check everything you replaced to see if they are connected properly and test each one to make sure they actually work. Don't assume because they are new they must be good.

No horn makes me think that the battery is weak. Have you tried it with a different battery or have you checked the voltage at the battery? Voltage and amps are two different things, so.............that's not always a good indicator.

Start at the beginning. Check everything you replaced to see if they are connected properly and test each one to make sure they actually work. Don't assume because they are new they must be good.
Like Loose Chain said, new isn't always good. Those aftermarket solenoids can be junk right out of the box. Have you checked the fuse at the solenoid? Try not to replace more than one thing at a time, makes diagnosing go better.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I started with a new battery, then assumed the solenoid was bad, then changed to a new starter switch, then tried a different stock starter switch...no change with any of those options?

You may have an open ground somewhere. Do you know how to test the wiring at the solenoid to see if you are getting a signal from the start button when you push it? You just need a test light. The fact that things like the light are not working could be a ground issue.

You may have an open ground somewhere. Do you know how to test the wiring at the solenoid to see if you are getting a signal from the start button when you push it? You just need a test light. The fact that things like the light are not working could be a ground issue.
I think you are on to something....now how to track it down. I attempted to test for power coming back to the solenoid when the star button is pushed...did not show any power.

Got to track that ground down....

Thanks

UPDATE

Chased it down this afternoon. Broken wire that goes from ignition switch to starter solenoid (yellow/red stripe), found the break right under the triple clamp. Spliced a new section in. Clymer wiring diagram was helpful.

Now onto the next item on the long list.

Attachments

• 20240407_131233.jpg
    20240407_131233.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240407_164652.jpg
    20240407_164652.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240407_164640.jpg
    20240407_164640.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240407_131238.jpg
    20240407_131238.jpg