• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

79 CB750 - Starting issues, carburettor?

Supposed to. If those are blocked up, the fuel won't have any choice but to continue doing the carb until it runs out of the throat, forward to the engine or back towards the filter.

Guys basic engine operation, if proper amount of fuel is introduced to the cylinder and even if that cylinder does not fire, that same amount of fuel will be compressed out of cylinder into exhaust.
If we have SO much fuel that is pouring out of intake boots than we have exorbitant amout of fuel which is filling the cylinder and time during exhaust valve is open at exhaust stoke is not enough to purge it thus fuel is filling the jug and got nowhere to go but out of intake boot.
My 2c

If the floats aren’t seating it comes out of the overflow?
It should.
I’ve had dirt bikes that had clogged tubes that go on the nipple of the float bowl get clogged. Fuel backed up into the motor.

But ya, if no vinyl tubes installed to get the overflow past the motor to drain on the ground, you should see fuel drip as long as the petcock is open.

But, as been mentioned, some petcocks of that era shut themselves off when engine shuts down and vacuum from the intake ceases.

Spawn of Satan petcocks some call them.

Guys basic engine operation, if proper amount of fuel is introduced to the cylinder and even if that cylinder does not fire, that same amount of fuel will be compressed out of cylinder into exhaust.
If we have SO much fuel that is pouring out of intake boots than we have exorbitant amout of fuel which is filling the cylinder and time during exhaust valve is open at exhaust stoke is not enough to purge it thus fuel is filling the jug and got nowhere to go but out of intake boot.
My 2c
I think you're right about the fuel being expelled the exhaust, but the only way for fuel to exit the intake valves is if the piston is rising when the intake valves are open. And that doesn't happen.

My 2c
Very tru guy.
Like I mentioned, I have one cylinder, I think it’s “3, that has a slow trickle thru the float valve.
Not enough to cause overflow, but enough to dump fuel into the bottom end overnight.

Been meaning to pull them and replace the float valve, really, but it’s too easy to just shut the petcock off……

Last edited:
I think you're right about the fuel being expelled the exhaust, but the only way for fuel to exit the intake valves is if the piston is rising when the intake valves are open. And that doesn't happen.
True that doesn't happen but how we end up with fuel coming out of intake boots when piston on intake stroke creates suction!?

True that doesn't happen but how we end up with fuel coming out of intake boots when piston on intake stroke creates suction!?
My suggestion was the intake valves open to let fuel in but then close too soon and leaves fuel in the intake boot. It's just a thought.

Good question.
Maybe not strong enough to really vaporize the fuel like a running motor would?
I’ve never looked, one wonders what rpm a starter throws.

On the overflow thing.
If he’s got a vacuum shutoff petcock,
and it’s working, the carbs might not overflow without engine running.
He cranks it, vacuum is created, petcock opens, the out of adjustment or bad floats
flood the motor.

Just thinking out loud guys.

Good question.
Maybe not strong enough to really vaporize the fuel like a running motor would?
I’ve never looked, one wonders what rpm a starter throws.

On the overflow thing.
If he’s got a vacuum shutoff petcock,
and it’s working, the carbs might not overflow without engine running.
He cranks it, vacuum is created, petcock opens, the out of adjustment or bad floats
flood the motor.

Just thinking out loud guys.
Vacuum petcock is plugged
I don’t have a tank on atm so I’ve got a fuel syringe feeding straight into the carbs, nothing stopping it flowing into the carbs except the floats

Cylinders 1 and 3 spark plugs are black
2 and 4 are only slightly dirty

I believe there are 2 ignition coils on that bike. Each coil supplies 2 cylinders.
I don’t know which ones.

Put the plugs in the wires.
Lay them on the motor so the sides touch metal to metal.

Turn the lights off ignition on and hit the switch.

All 4 should show blue spark.

They don’t move the plugs to different wires. If the weak or no spark stays with the same wires, swap coils around.

Vacuum petcock is plugged
I don’t have a tank on atm so I’ve got a fuel syringe feeding straight into the carbs, nothing stopping it flowing into the carbs except the floats

Home style fuel injection eh?
I love it.
You aren’t really squeezing that thing are ya?

Let's make sure your spark plugs are connected to the correct coils. The left coil feeds #1 and #4. The right coil feeds #2 and #3. Is that how yours are?

I cleaned the slides again, but it only cranked when the fuel ran out, could the floats be too high? I don’t think you can adjust these ones
Either that or it was less fuel

I’m an idiot and put bigger jets in but I’m gonna swap them back to the factory size

Before you go any further set up a gas tank, let it feed by gravity.

I know one thing guys.

The 79/83 DOHC engines rev up and sound sweet.

If I’m lying I’m dying.

This thing you are calling a fuel syringe, is it applying pressure in the line? If so that will force the valves off the seats in the carbs and flood them. Go to a junk yard and get yourself a fuel tank off a lawn mower, and then hang it with a piece of wire from the handlebars and let gravity do it's thing. Also you mentioned earlier that you put larger jets in for some reason, so put the stock ones back in. This will eliminate some of the things that could be causing your problem. Get a fresh set of plugs also. You are probably going to have to change the oil at some point too because you will have fuel in the oil after all this flooding.

Back