• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 CB900F New to me rehab with lots of questions.

gggGary

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came to me last night. Bought one new 40 years ago, long gone. When this popped up on CL I was on it like grease under fingernails.
Mine Frau
KIMG4602.JPG
Hint: when slipping a new bike into the herd, have your wife pose on it for pictures. :sneaky:

So there's a todo list, and I need help, so a few questions.
Tail lights don't (brake lights do) is there a good wiring diagram for it here? found a color CB900C diagram which'll get me most of the way. But the correct diagram in color would be great.
Turn signal switch just flops, no electric action. Lots of controls on flea bay, is there any difference other than wire length with CB750C Left controls?
Needs fork seals, so front pads also. Any stay away from seal brands?
Is there a valve shim exchange program around? I have the little lever tool but the shim stash went away years ago.

For your turn signals, is the switch acting properly but there is no signal light, or is the switch acting broken?
I could have used a shim exchange program a couple weeks ago. I bought a kit from 4into1 (I think, don't quote me) and it was around 60 bucks. I still ended up having to order 2 more shims of the same size because I ran out of that particular one. The kit had 2 of each from 235 to 280 I think. The lower numbers may have gone increments of 10 but then went increments of 5.

Thnx 4 reply!
Switch just flops, lever is disconnected from internals I'll have to open see if a fix is possible.

For your turn signals, is the switch acting properly but there is no signal light, or is the switch acting broken?
I could have used a shim exchange program a couple weeks ago. I bought a kit from 4into1 (I think, don't quote me) and it was around 60 bucks. I still ended up having to order 2 more shims of the same size because I ran out of that particular one. The kit had 2 of each from 235 to 280 I think. The lower numbers may have gone increments of 10 but then went increments of 5.
Pin that locates the lever is busted off the slide. Anyone have luck drilling the plastic slide and putting in a small screw?

Replace your ignition switch for the tail light not working issue. Cost approx. $25
Winner!
This ignition switch has an "extra"??? position, one more click to get ignition AND the taillight, weird.
on turnsignals; an ebay 900C LH control did the job, after careful disassembly, cleaning, and lube all good now.
Before cleanup:
CB900 lh control.jpg
Yeah they all need an R&R 40 years on.
Gas tank is at "Mr. paintless dent removal", but it's a tough one to get out. Re-paint is brittle, his motto, first do no harm. :heart:
00H0H_2JdkzzOSYQM_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
Got a buds valve shim kit but a different bike is hogging the lift, natch.
A long maint list for this one once she's center stage.

Last edited:
Back