• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Shipping a frame

Goldenoldy63

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a frame for my 1970 Honda 750. I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on shipping it from Indianapolis to North Dakota. I am getting quotes of six and $700, which is absurd to me anybody has any ideas I would sure appreciate it. Thanks, Rob.

Price doesnt sound that bad to me considering how bulky a frame is too ship.

I didn't think it was bad, either.
Maybe find an auto shipper that handles motorcycles? You can always rent a u-Haul and do it yourself for less than half that

The quotes you're getting are that high because gasoline prices are that high (at least what I'm paying).

It's about 30 hours round trip for you, right? Cost to drive, IF you get 30MPG @$5 a gallon, then it will cost $300-350 in gas. If you get just 20MPG...like with a minivan, then a 30 hour trip will cost more like $500. "Saving.org" has a road-trip gas cost calculator.

If it's just a CB750 frame, with no swing-arm, no triple-clamp attatched, it will fit into the back seat of many* commuter cars, provided you put moving blankets or thick, old blankets on the backseat beforehand. Really. Make sure both ends don't touch the uphoulstry, because that black grease won't come out. (Cough, cough...I heard that somewhere) If the swing-arm is attached to the frame, then you'll likely need a minivan or pickup. Minivans don't get great MPG usually, but they're big. Also, minivans have more windows to open if the frame stinks of old grime.

*Note: I don't know diddly-squat about the backseat sizes of new cars. You'd have to measure.

It's a hard drive, that's for sure. On the other hand, maybe it'll be one of those stories you look back on fondly. "Back in 23' I drove clear on over to Indiana for this frame" and somebody on here will say, "Man, you got to drive? I had to walk 2 states to get muffler. Wore out 2 pairs of shoes." And the next guy will say, "You had shoes?!"

Back