• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Replacing tires on ‘78 Hondamatic 750a

ubu2ibme2

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on replacing the tires on my hondamatic 750a and saw a couple of sites and suggestions, my question is, do I need to use the tubes for the tires or can I just run the tires tubeless?

You should be able to run either tube or tubeless with comstar wheels. When the comstar wheels came out some still came with tubes which was a result of tire availability. If you have spoke wheels then you have to run tube tires.

I just went through this on my '79 750 LTD.
The FSM specifically states that the Comstar's can be run tubeless. There was some confusion as apparently the tires I ordered came with tubes without me knowing it.

Old Crow, did you use the tubes or went tubeless?
It had tubes in it with the "old" tires (11-year-old Avons that had maybe 250 miles on them), so there were no tubeless stems. The shop I used couldn't find the correct tubeless stems in a timely manner, so I had them use the tubes. Since I'm no longer doing my own tires, it really doesn't matter to me whether they have tubes or not. I'll source the stems during the life of the current tires and will go back tubeless with the next change (assuming I live that long, I'm 71).
I had a different 750LTD back about 30 years ago. I remember that the tires on that one were run tubeless because that was the first bike I ever owned with tubeless tires.

Last edited:
Back