• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

ran out of gas

kramdua

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was out riding today and i could feel the bike losing power and going lean. i switched it to reserve and still lean. i road a short distance and it cut off with very little side of the road. it would try to start on choke. i was just getting ready to see if i could find a home where i could get it off the road . after a minute or two i started cranking it over and it eventually would idle. after a few minutes idling i was able to ride it. i limped it home using the least amount of throttle. after looking into it i found the vacuum hose from the petcock to the intake had a crack in it. replaced and ready to ride again. 1993 nighthawk 750.

i decided to have a back up plan under the seat. better safe than limp home on the back roads. 6428DC3A-D7FF-497F-99BD-D91AD1094271.jpeg

I remember many years ago when I past my test I decided to go for a ride after a few hrs I was about 30 miles from home and the bike started to splutter an jerk a bit i was like ooono this was lying 1st ever big ride crap what do I do as the bike died so pushed it to a safe spot starting to panic what could it be goes thro the checks open the tank lid empty WHAT !! turned on to reserve vroom starts OMG what a boob never made that mistake again (tho I have turned it on to rev an forgot and run out but that was OK as I was almost at a gas station when I seen what I'd done )

i had a 1973 hd sportster. it had a pingle petcock. i had it on reserve but thinking it was just set to the on position. bogged down and tried to set it on reserve but tank was dry. if you don't make mistakes you will never learn.
i hope you enjoy the bike.

i had a 1973 hd sportster. it had a pingle petcock. i had it on reserve but thinking it was just set to the on position. bogged down and tried to set it on reserve but tank was dry. if you don't make mistakes you will never learn.
i hope you enjoy the bike.
Same here, kramdua. Back in '73 I had a used '61 VW beetle w/the kick-lever "reserve" on the floor and no gas gage. Did the same thing. Driving west across a 104 degree Arizona desert towards Winslow, at my last gas stop I got to talking w/someone and forgot to reset the kick-lever back up to "run". When the engine started to sputter again I reached over w/my right foot to kick the lever down. It was already there.

Had to wait about a half hour before the next car came by. In the desert, no one passes by a stranded vehicle. The guy stopped and drove me about 15 mi. to Winslow, where the gas station didn't even want a deposit on the can they lent me for gas. Next customer headed back east (about 10-15 min. later) dropped me back at my car.

Lesson learned. I've NEVER left the pet on any bike I ever had in the reserve position when I got gas. "Winslow" always comes to mind at a gas station, and I check the pet before I even open the gas tank.

nice story and ending. and yes the vw fuel valve. very cool.
amazingly i was out off gas just sitting on the side of the road in the grass. a guy drove by and stopped. he offered to go to his house and grab a gas can. this guy comes back with a brand new can he just bought and some fuel. i thanked him and told him to give me his number so i could pay him. i didn't have any cash just credit card. he never would give me his number but i remember cars. he had a cream color 1970 ford maverick. i saw the car one day at 7-11 and i was able to pay him.
felt good,

My wife had a 1972 vw beetle she was the 2an owner the buyer bought the car brand new and kept it up till he died in 2000 he left it to his next door neighbour who could not move the drivers seat (too fat he said wd40 lump hammer fixed ) so we bought it it had every bit of paper / recipe that came with the car from dealers receipt till 2000 .. it even played 1970s music . Only thing wrong with it the fuel sender didn't work I swapped at least 3 or 4 new ones still would not work so it was 200 miles then fill up .but still didn't stop her running out gas even when I put a jerry can in the bonnet .she use it an forget .her excuses was she was pregnant lol

I always remove those vacuum operated petcocks. They aren't easy to fix on the road. I'd rather turn the petcock off after each ride.
I’m looking at removing mine. Do you know of a good supplier for a manual petcock or can I just pull the guts out of the vacuum one and seal it back up?

Good question. I kept the stock petcock on mine and moved the fuel tube straight to the carb inlet. The petcock itself doesn't have the vacuum parts -- the vacuum parts above the carb are all I had to worry about.

Back