• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New here and looking for input

huntermedic74

Huntermedic74
Reaction score
I am a cherry when it comes to restoration and I recently aquired a 72' CB750k2 , I have ALOT of work ahead of me as it is in parts and alot of the chrome is speckled with rust (but still sound). The tank is immaculate factory orange (definately not my prefered color). My question is, in retaining re-sale value , is it better to restore to factory colors/ condition or to customize?
I'm looking at either Planet Blue (to restore) or metalic black/bronze (for custom)

From what I've seen, as they go on eBay, restore to factory colors/ condition fetch a hight dollar. A customized cb750 seem to average about $3-4K, original $3-10K depending on the year. Of course it all depends on how you do it. A customized cb750 Cafe bike with all the bells and whistles, rebuilt big bore engine and such may go up to $6K. A half ass restore $2K.

Myself, I'm working on a partial stock restore. It will look stock, except upgraded electronics, non-stock colors and some aftermarket parts. It's all about the budget for me. Stock exhaust for my 75K (same as your 72) in good to excellent shape go for $1-2K on ebay. Where decent new aftermarket exhausts systems go for ~$400. I'm hoping the value to be in the $4-5K range.

original paint is where its at. pick the 72 color you want and go bleed yourself into a nice ORIGINAL paint tank, and then get some side covers to match. Stand in line at the ebay trough and slug it out for nicer pieces then you have, and sell your castoffs. Original is where its at. But some bikes just naturally don't qualify. cut them all you want.

Thanks for the input! I'll definately be going for the restoration. However that leads me to another question... From some other forums, there seems to be some debate as to the Planet Blue actually being a 72' color. From what I could find it was, just in the UK though. Would that effect the resale or the "originality" of the restoration?

There are some real cool Japanese mainland colors available. I own a Candy gold and a Brier Brown.
It was available in North America as one of three colors:
•Brier Brown Metallic
•Flake Sunrise Orange
•Candy Gold

If you used the 69 Candy Blue and gold stripe it would be awesome.

I'm thinking that I may part out the tank (for the right price) as it is immaculate factory paint, missing the emblems though. Then find one that I can finish with the PB/ gold. Here are some pics of what I'm working with.

. 2013-04-08_05-08-03_702.jpg

2013-04-08_05-08-18_393.jpg

2013-04-08_05-08-25_972.jpg

its a 73-74 tank. I would buy it. I have a dent and rust free tank in primer. right hand petcock, and flip lock cap.

Back