• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need help with VIN number decoding for state legal technicalities.

ejohnston

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Im just finishing up the wiring on my 1972 K2 CB750. I ended up doing the minimal wiring setup and did not install any turn signals. It has since come to my attention that according to Georgia code in order to be street legal. "Turn signals are not required on motorcycles manufactured prior to January 1, 1972; Georgia Code, 40-8-25"

Since its says "manufactured" I assume the date it was built? (instead of the model date of 1972.) Is there anyway that anyone knows of, how to find out specific info on an old honda cb750?

From what I've discovered the VIN number doesn't shed as much info as more recent vehicles but none the less I have wasted the last 4 hours of my life scouring forums, VIN decoding sites, wikipedia, and many other unsuccessful places.

If anyone has any opinion/insight as to when a 72 K2 was manufactured I would be more than appreciative! my VIN # is CB7502062569

I guess I could always slap on some signals but id have to rip back into all those wires

anyway thanks in advance!!!!

I don't know if you're going get around the manufactured vs model year differentiation with the state, but I guess it would be worth a shot if you knew it was actually built in '71. Since the '72s start with 2000001 and you're 2062569, I would say it probably wasn't built in '71. That's just a guess though. I don't think there is any real way to know or look up that information. Are you trying to get around it for inspection purposes, or for later when/if you get pulled over? I don't think a cop is going to care about the difference between date of manufactured vs. model year. They'll go with whatever is on the registration. You'd probably have to fight a ticket in court and would need proof it was "manufactured prior to January 1, 1972".

Yeah thats what I was afraid of! and yes I am more concerned about getting a ticket. Do you know if, in general, they'll look the other way if the signals and/or brake light are not technically DOT approved? I'm sure theres no real answer to that im just debating whether or not to spend the extra cash to get some legit ones!

Thanks again for your help Travis! I think you alone have been the most help on my entire cafe build :cheers:

I don't know about the DOT thing... I guess that depends on the state/county/city or where ever you happen to get pulled over. If you're going legit with turn signals, and they are bright enough and in the proper locations, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the DOT thing. :twocents:

The metal tag that is attached to the steering neck has the manufacture date stamped on it. It will be a month/year stamp. The tag has VIN and manufacture date as well as other writing. Should be in a upper left or right corner.

:doh: I forgot the VIN plate had the mo/year on it. I'm certain my old '84 Honda Shadow had just the year. I wonder if 1984 was the year they stopped putting the manufacturer date on the plate and just put the model year? Maybe having the manufacture date on the plate that was different form the model year (on some bikes) caused too much confusion with titling? I've seen old bikes that were definitely one specific year, but titled as the year before due to the manufacture date being in the fall before the model year...

Automotive stuff is the same year but there seams to be no specific month they stop. In cars it seems if it is September or later it is considered next yrs model year. 10/2009 would be a 2010 model. But a 1/2009 would be a 2009 model. Old stuff seemed to vary more in what they considered a certain model year. I never had to deal with it cause it doesn't matter here in South Dakota. As long as it is liscensed no one cares what year it is and we have no real enforced rules as to what you need on the bike.:thumbsup:

Back