Honda Civic Help anyone.

Dave

CB750 Junkie
Reaction score
While I'm searching the web thought I'd drop a post here.

I'm working on a 2005 Honda Civic. Cranks, won't start. It has done it a few times recently but usually turning the key off and back on again cured it but now it just won't start. No trouble codes current or pending.

Battery is good

I can hear the fuel pump prime but I don't have the tool to check the fuel pressure.

The Crank sensor is putting out a solid 5v pulse but, I'm not getting any spark at the plug.

Don't know the Civic, but two things come to mind: coil and distributor cap. Caps get corroded, intermitent, and then just fail. I have one to replace on my S-10 4.3l when it warms up some.

Don't know the Civic, but two things come to mind: coil and distributor cap. Caps get corroded, intermitent, and then just fail. I have one to replace on my S-10 4.3l when it warms up some.

Different system. The car has 4 coils and no distributor. It uses sensors and a computer to decide when to spark each plug.

No spark to all cylinders? Do you have access to a scan tool that displays data? If you do watch the engine rpm while cranking, if you get zero start looking at the crank sensor. Crank sensors are a common issue

No spark to all cylinders? Do you have access to a scan tool that displays data? If you do watch the engine rpm while cranking, if you get zero start looking at the crank sensor. Crank sensors are a common issue

Naw, I've never paid to unlock all the extra goodies on the scan tool I bought at a garage sale. It's basically a glorified trouble code reader that can reset ecu's too.

I checked the crank sensor, good 5v pulse. I checked the TDC sensor, also good 5v pulse. I checked the fuses, all good.

I finally stared at the dash (sometimes I'm just a dumbass it seems) and finally noticed the green key icon kept flashing instead of going out when I turned the ignition on. I went and got the spare key and it fired right up.

Have you ever heard of a passive RFID chip failing before? You have now. Damn thing is gonna cost $95 to replace but I got to have a spare key.

have seen security keys fail fairly often, a lot of gm passlock system fairlures.

Back