• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder 4 Misfiring?

footshooter5

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First, let me take a minute to introduce myself. I've only recently come into the motorcycle world, but have in my garage a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750 and recently acquired a 1981 CB750C as a project. By day, night, and all hours in between, I'm a surgery resident in St. Louis, MO, but some of us have hobbies too.

I bought a non-running cb750...and got it running (yes!), but for some reason cylinder 4 sounds like it's misfiring. I say this based on what I can hear, but also the exhaust pipes for 1, 2, 3 are mad hot (I can barely touch them), whereas 4 is just warm/hot.

I checked the compression across the 4 cylinders - all of them are between 120-125; not great numbers, but they're consistent. I checked the valve clearances, and they're all between 0.003 and 0.005 inches (cylinder 4 is 0.004 and 0.005 for intake and exhaust, respectively).

I've checked the plugs (brand new NGK D8EA, all gapped to 0.26), and I think the issue is fuel delivery from the carburetor but I wanted to get some input from people who really know what they're doing. #1 is actually a touch foul (maybe too rich of a mixture), but 2 and 3 look identical with a little bit of yellowing on the rim of the threads, whereas 4 looks like I just pulled it out of the box. I've stuck different coils on it, and it looks like it sparks consistently and doesn't look like there's an arcing (but I can't be 100% certain).

I also wanted to rule out a leak, so I sprayed some carb cleaner around the insulators on both sides of the carbs, and no changes in the RPM.

Currently waiting on a new set of gaskets, jets, and rings for the carbs, and planning on cleaning them up again (did once, but not a total dismantle) and seeing if that gets things going in the right direction.

Thanks again in advance!

'...4 looks like I just pulled it out of the box.'

Likely lean or no fuel to it. Those carbs give expert carb people fits, you can't clean them good enough.

FYI, if you separate them entirely, grind the choke plate screw ends down flush with the shaft, they are staked. Ground, they come out much easier and can be reused if you loctite to make up for the loss of the stake.

Back