• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Crank bearing code concern

LuckyPapa

CB750 Member
Reaction score
While I was watching videos on bike rebuilding I watched one video by a guy who calls his website "Hackaweek", his name is Dean Segovis (great videos!)
In his video he mentioned that Honda cb750's crankcase and crankshaft are paired and that the case and shaft have letters and numbers imprinted on them for use in determining which crankshaft bearings are needed.
My question about this fact is are all the "CB" line like this? I have a 1980 cb750 I'm restoring and a 1980 CBX I'm building from the ground up and none of the parts are original to each other. The connecting rods are stamped with a code too apparently.
Anyone know the solution to this puzzle?
Also while I was disassembling my carbs I forgot to note how many turns was the factory setting for my pilot screws. Is there a set number?
Thanks for any input.

according to the service manual, all bearing inserts are select fit and are identified by color code. there is a number stamped into the counter weights of the crank as well as a letter code on the engine case to associate which bearing code you need. my 1999 CBR600 is the same way. bearing selection starts on book page number 154 of the attached manual. as far as the pilot screw go, base setting is about 1.5 turns. procedure for adjusting is on book page 63 of the attached manual.

Attachments

• Honda1979thru83CB750ServiceManualChapter12CrankshaftPrimaryShaft.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Honda1979thru83CB750ServiceManualChapter04FuelSystem.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
Back