• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

What type of metal...

brettp

CB750 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What type of metal is the engine and engine covers (timing cover) of the 79-81 DOHC engine? I have a crack in my timing cover and m thinking of trying to close it with brazing rods.

Pretty much everything on these engines is aluminum. You would be better off finding someone that can Tig weld it for you. How did you manage to crack the cover? How about picking up a used one?

Bike rolled off the kickstand. I had the handlebars but all I could do was slow the fall. The crack is pretty small but enough that oil seeps out. The case is not damaged.

I did, too. But shipping for most is ridiculous. Davis silver spares has nice chrome ones for $70 or $80, with shipping. I'll go that route if I have to.
I took the cover off again and it looks to me like the JB Weld is in tact. But when I looked at my gasket/o-ring (not exactly an O) it is pretty flat. I ordered a new one today. Hopefully the new gasket fixes the problem. Will keep you posted.

I like that chrome one with the HONDA on it. Never knew if that was original or not. One of my '81 CB750C's has the chrome cover, the other two have the alloy cover.

Back