• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

what to look for when buying a '79 anniversary edition?

Fencingboy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to look at a 1979 CB750 10th Anniversary edition later today with the intent of buying it. I just wanted to reach out to the community and see if there are any things in particular I should look out for. It has 6,400 miles, the seller has owned it for 17 years and has put about 1500 of the existing miles on it. I'm planning on checking the oil, tires, brake pads and rotors and fluid, inspecting all the seals I can see for leaks, and test riding it. All the usual things. Let me know if there's anything else I should look for and ask about or if there's an existing FAQ I should read up on

Thanks

given how low mile the bike is and that it's probably sat for a long time, would you consider it basically a certainty the tank has rust? and is anything more than surface level discoloration worth walking away from the sale over? also, fwiw, seller is asking $2500 for this bike

I've seen tanks look really good for their age. It will depend on how often/long it was exposed to the elements and how full of gas it was. OR, they could have fixed the tank at some point.
Fencingboy brings up a great point, in addition to looking inside the tank, look at the seams as well as under the tank.
Discoloration alone, IMHO, does not necessarily create a lost cause. But paint bubbling might.
2,500 is more than most would spend on that bike probably, but a collector would think it is a steal if the bike is in good shape with that low miles

interesting that $2500 is more than most would spend. it seemed to be a little below average of the other prices i saw on the market. is the market just high right now and i won't really find a better price? or should i consider holding out if this one isn't in remarkably good condition?

Couldn't answer that for you. The market is the market, and each one is local. The Florida market is different than the mid-west market.

Well, I’ve ended up getting it for $2,000. Regardless of the market it’s a price I can afford and I’m happy with what I’m getting for it. I’ll probably be asking a lot more questions here in the future and hello to Joe if you’re reading this!

Well, I’ve ended up getting it for $2,000. Regardless of the market it’s a price I can afford and I’m happy with what I’m getting for it. I’ll probably be asking a lot more questions here in the future and hello to Joe if you’re reading this!
Congrats! And we need pics!

This is all I have for now. I’m taking it home next Friday so many more pictures then
IMG_8724.jpg
IMG_8725.jpg
IMG_8732.jpg
IMG_8729.jpg
IMG_8728.jpg
IMG_8721.jpg

Welcome from the owner of another Ltd. model. You'll be fielding a lot of questions at your gas stops once you get it cleaned up (and probably before). I'm on my second L model and both have been great bikes.

Nice find! In my short time watching these bikes I've come across a couple Anniversary editions that sold in the 4-5k range. Also thanks for the pics, just answered a chain guard question I didn't ask yet haha.

Back