• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Trying to join the cb750 club and need some help!

sb750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my situation. I'm looking to buy a 750 but I'm new to this world and could really use some expert advice. I've been pouring through the forums trying to learn as much as I can but on Thursday im going to look at this bike and was wondering if you guys see any red flags or know of any specific things to look for, and lastly if you can give me some idea if the price is fair.

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/4696650229.html

A little more information about what I'm looking for, I have some mechanical experience, in highschool I did a frame off restoration of a 1985 Honda atc250r three wheeler, but I am by no means an expert :). I have been putting around on a little 125cc scooter for a couple years now and I'm ready to get a real bike and I love the history and style of the cb750. I'm looking for a bike that maybe down the road when funds permit I could do some cafe or scrambler customization, but given the fact that this will be my daily driver to and from work, I really just need something mechanically sound.

So would you think this price is fair? And if so what should I look for when checking her out on Thursday? Also is there any reason I should avoid the cb750f and look for a k series?

Really I have learned so much from this forum already and can't thank you enough in advance for your opinions and advice!

Looks like a fair price to me, for what the seller claims to be a good condition (turn key) bike. And from what I understand, the prices of these old bikes are a bit higher out on the west coast. I would check the usual stuff, take it for a spin, get it up to a decent high speed, check power and handleing. Maybe bring an volt meter, check the volts not running (~12v) and then at 3000 rmps (~14v) to see if it's charging. Bring a flashlight and inspect the wiring, pull the side covers off, lift up the seat, look for any splices or defects. Essentially, look to see if there has been any half ass fixes or mods. For a full priced turn key bike, any mods can be specious, but this one looks 100% stock. What I mean here is a lot of guys think it's cool to pull out the air box and put pod filters in, but if the carbs aren't re-jetting right, and the engine was run too hot, there could be unseen damage.

As for K vs. F models and years, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I think the older K's have a more classic look, but there were some slight improvements in the later F models that are desirable.

This is the same year and model as mine. It had 6,400 miles and I paid $1500. However, it did not run well (eventually found out the needle jets were set rich), was very dirty, rear caliper locked up, and engine case paint was peeled from gas leaks. I also don't have a lot of mechanical experience but learned a lot. Last winter I pulled the engine and had the head rebuilt to replace the exhaust guides (they can be a F model weak spot) with cast iron guides. I was able to put it back together myself. It runs good now and it gets a lot of attention. A good maintenance manual is key. The one you are looking at looks to be in decent shape but missing peg rubber, original mirrors, side cover emblems, handlebar clamp bolt covers, and the shifter doesn't look original. CB750's have been going up in price. I think $1800 - $2000 would be a decent offer.

Thanks for all the insight. I will keep you guys up to date with how it goes tomorrow! Hopefully I'll be on here a lot more looking for help fixing her up.

image.jpg

So now this beautiful 1978 cb750f is all mine :). Had a wonderful ride down the 101 south bringing her home and she is running wonderfully. Excited to get a couple days off work to get some more photos up to share with you all. I'm sure I'll be on here asking for a lot of help and learning a ton!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 98
Congrats. The fact that it runs so well is a big plus. Hope you have as fun on it as I have had with mine.

Off work tomorrow so I will give you all a good update then, but it has been a blast riding this thing to work the last few days. I keep finding myself leaving earlier and earlier to find new roads to explore. Here is another photo for you all. image.jpg

thanks Ken! i've been loving it, already had to deal with a bum battery, but its been a blast, Here are some more photos from my first week with her :)
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg

and of course my favorite photo, my two loves, my wife and my cb750 :)
IMG_2586.jpg

Back