• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

TDC for Valve Clearance Adjustment

One time out of curiosity I measured the clearances with the lobes straight up. Then I measured per the manual with the cams in the positions per the manual. There were differences, I do it per the manual.

I doubt you'll damage the lobes. With that said, I bet (I don't know this for sure) the lobes are not the same slope on both sides. The manual says rotate the engine 90° for each clearance check, ensuring the checks are done when the lobes are in the same position relative to the shim.
I could be totally wrong here, but after going thru that exercise a couple times, it's an educated guess.

, I bet (I don't know this for sure) the lobes are not the same slope on both sides. The manual says rotate the engine 90° for each clearance check,
Yeah, that's the case, Honda knows how these cams are ground, I'll follow their advice. The manual describes how to turn the cams 90 degrees each time to check certain valves each time (not the engine 90*) . No need to find TDC, the cam positions are easy to find by reading the manual. Honda must think that 90* cam movement is simple and accurate enough to do the job. I couldn't tell someone how to do this, I go to the manual every time.

Back