• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valves - are these salvageable??

loxley007

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, im working on my cylinder head (a 1979 model) and cleaning up my valves to see whether I need to buy some new ones.

My exhaust valves look ok so I’ll reuse those (unless someone tells me different) but some of the intake values are pitted badly on the face of the valve (see pictures below).

Do you think think I need new intake valves? Is it ok replacing just a few or do you need all done at the same time?

I’m still really new to rebuilding engines so any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 67
The valve seat surface and stem tip are the most important. If there is any pitting on the seat or tip they are junk as you cant grind the valves or you will grind through the surface hardening. In theory the pitting on the face of the valves is not critical unless its deep obviously but I really wouldnt use them by the looks of them.

The valve seat surface and stem tip are the most important. If there is any pitting on the seat or tip they are junk as you cant grind the valves or you will grind through the surface hardening. In theory the pitting on the face of the valves is not critical unless its deep obviously but I really wouldnt use them by the looks of them.
Cheers. I think most of my intake valves are toast. Maybe less so on the exhaust. Thanks for the advice!

Weird. Exhaust valves are usually the first to go.

What sizes were the valve shims you had in that head? That can give you an indication of how much each valve has stretched over time -- the thinner the shims need to be to achieve the correct clearance, the less life the valves have left.

Weird. Exhaust valves are usually the first to go.

What sizes were the valve shims you had in that head? That can give you an indication of how much each valve has stretched over time -- the thinner the shims need to be to achieve the correct clearance, the less life the valves have left.
To be fair the valves, pistons and head had a lot of corrosion when I got them. It may be the pitting came from that.

Back