• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stator Resistance way Below Spec?

To each his own I guess. This is not some super sensitive app where everything has to be perfect like on a motherboard or other tight spec component. The 30 year old motors survive because they don't turn 10,000 rpm ever. And I have pulled apart ones that old that had the exact same varnish missing all over the place, the motors still ran but for how much longer? I don't care for fires myself.

'Now I am NOT saying to throw away the voltmeter because it's still usable on COMPARITIVE measurements, that's what your missing. Meaning, you can take a perfectly working, functioning, system, connect a voltmeter, do your RPM tests, record the voltages, then take that same meter to a malfunctioning vehicle and the meter will show the fault. None of the sampling rate error matters since it's the same error introduced on both systems and is thus canceled out.'

Yes, and I've been there for a while. I realized long ago that comparative readings are just that only but that does not mean they are useless. I wouldn't expect exact voltage numbers any way, I have a range they fall in that is good enough. I still use an analog meter as well, it can test other things the digital can't. Some of this issue seemed to be touched with that ripple article I linked higher up.

I plan if I do one to use Glyptal to coat the windings and thinking of vacuuming the part down to pull it into the cracks and crevices. That may be how Honda did theirs, it sort of looks like it by the rotor finishing. And I will look around for that type of wire you mentioned higher up.

I don't doubt at all that they use cheapest of the cheap materials, it's the utter rage now, you sell more parts if they defect quicker and I am firmly convinced factory engineers now are used for more than just design, they look into designing to fail earlier now as long as it lives a 'reasonable' length of time. There are just too many parts coming out with obvious flaws that could be corrected and should have at the start before part released to production. And the first runs of them were better, they mod the part to be more marginal during the product lifespan. I used to buy pairs of Fords same model but a couple years apart and you could see evidence of that everywhere, the later cars were full of it. My first rotor fail was at only 3000 miles, don't know if I mentioned that higher up. A second one one a transplanted Nighthawk motor into the F failed around 10,000.

Hope we haven't bumped heads too much, you are sharper than a tack, and I remember you from the Focus site. Good on you and I can use anything I did not know before. I always enjoy your postings.

Thanks! No we haven't bumped heads too much I've always enjoyed your posts in the Focus group! Most mechanics out there are parts-changers, and most designers out there are myopic and only focused on one teeny tiny little thing, and that cuts across all industries. 20 years ago when I was working for a software developer I saw this all the time - software programmers working on network applications who didn't know how DNS operated, that sort of thing. I work as an IT consultant now and things have not changed in the slightest - 90% of computer fixes done by techs today are done by nuke-and-repave and reinstall all the software again and look at that - we got the same conflicts that caused the problem again. Maybe 1% of them actually take the time to try and understand how the software works and actually think things through. It is incredible that modern industry produces products that actually work with this approach.

You and I are of a rare breed, those people who look at the entire system holistically. That's why I love reading your posts. Troubleshooting is what I make my primary coin in today - I'm one of those people they call when the fix-the-computer-by-recipe fails, because the cookbook approach fails when the problem is not textbook and at least 30% of the problems aren't. As a mechanic you and I are the rare ones who would be taking off and cleaning out the intake manifold when the engine drops a valve seat and a new head is installed, without being told - because we would be "as long as we are in there we are going to do it right" while the run-of-the-mill tech wouldn't bother, and end up destroying the new head when all the chaff left from the old one gets blown into the engine.

Hi Gergify,

just brought home my new 79 cb750k and realized rather quickly that it is not charging. I was just curious to see if replacing the rotor fixed your problem, and what kind of rotor you bought.

Thanks!
Rob

Hi Gergify,

just brought home my new 79 cb750k and realized rather quickly that it is not charging. I was just curious to see if replacing the rotor fixed your problem, and what kind of rotor you bought.

Thanks!
Rob

Replacing my rotor with one from Custom Rewind fixed the charging problem on my bike.

Back