• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Regulator / Pickup Issue / Question

Kmartcivic

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So working on getting this 78 cb750a up and running. Had it running with the choke on. Then went to test some loose wires with my multimeter trying to find where the solenoid on the carbs plug into on the harness (solenoid plugs cut off). So looking through the repair manual the color orientation on the wiring diagram for the factory regulator had the green and white wire flip flopped. Dummy me instead of unbolting it and seeing the color sticker on the cap the swapped them. Turned the key on and it blew the main fuse. Now putting those wires in their respective spots it still pops the fuse. If I unplug the three connectors on the regulator, the fuse will not pop. Checking continuity on the regulator the white wire has continuity to the frame of the regulator. Also has it between the white and the black terminal. Now going to test the field coil and stator. Everything ohms out correctly, yet the white pickup coil wire has continuity to ground. Also all 3 yellow stator wires ohm out correctly yet have continuity between all 3.

Curious if I maybe screwed up the regulator or is the pickup screwed up? I plan on getting a new regulator/rectifier here, just want to make sure nothing else is wrong before I do that.

Last edited:
I keep racking my brain, so I think first I'll replace the fuse. Connect only the Black and green wires to the regulator, turn on the ign. and see if the fuse pops. Other thought was to ground the Field coil (sorry I called it a pickup coil in my post) and put a fuse inline to the white wire and connect to the battery and see if the fuse blows or not.

Did some testing this morning. Attached a wire with a 10amp fuse to the white field coil wire and attached to the battery. Fuse didnt blow. Next hooked up green wire to regulator and fused wire I made to the black terminal. Didn't blow. Decided to hook everything up and with the key on I used the wire with the 10 amp fuse to jump the main fuse terminals and everything powered up. So strange. I guess I'll be pulling the harness off and cleaning all the connections.

Back