Starter button not working.

Bcoggin

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, hoping for some direction.

My 1979 cb750 battery died.
I jumped it off of a car.
While doing that the starter sounded slow and I heard a slight pop.
Now the start button makes a clicking noise down around the engine, but does not attempt to turn over.

Any idea what I did to it, and what parts I should start looking for?

sorry, but I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject. I love this bike and want to get it running again.

jump the heavy cables with a screwdriver and see if it rolls over. If it does, and the solenoid just clicks its a bad solenoid

Hi Bcoggin

First off, as you probably now know, NEVER jump off of a car...way to much amperage.

Secondly are you now using a good fully charged battery when you hear the click?

If no...there ya go. Get a good fully charged battery...either trickle charge the one you have or if its an old pos get a new one.

If yes do the above suggestion by cyclebuster to test solenoid....if solenoid is good then....

making sure your bike is in NUETRAL you can use a jumper cable from the pos. on your battery to the starter side of the soenoid to test your starter... if your starter is still good it will turn over.

Last edited:
First check fuses. Pop sounds like maybe a bad electrical connection somewhere. Check and clean battery terminals and check the engine ground make sure it is tight. The starter solenoid is under cover on the left side , check to see if you have battery voltage on one terminal then check to see if you also have it on the other big terminal when you push the start button. If you have power coming out then solenoid is good, then next step is getting to the starter.

There is no problem jumping a bike off of a car as long as you have the car shut off.

Thanks all. A lot of this is over my head. The battery is likely not fully charged.
What does the solenoid look like?
I checked the fuses, they look fine.

I didn't know that you shouldn't jump off a car. I've done it a few times with the car on. Did this possibly cause the problem?

Thanks for your help. I feel like an idiot..

The solenoid is under the left cover and has two big wires going to it, one to the battery positive the other to the starter, also has two other small wires going to it. Shaped like a cylinder about the diameter of a quarter or a little bigger and an inch or two tall. The solenoid should click when you hit the start button, you can also feel it click. I would make sure the battery is fully charged. I have jump off of cars and battery charges and have had no issues either so I doubt it hurt it.

Just a side thought, is the motor stuck? Can you get it to turn over, put it in 2nd or 3rd and try to push the bike or put it on the center stand and turn the wheel with it in gear, should be able to make the motor move.

Thank you, it was up and running fine just minutes prior, I had jumped it off and was riding to charge it, but forgot to open the fuel line (so dumb) so it stalled out. The bike didn't have enough of a charge to turn over so I pushed it back, luckily in the neighborhood still. I believe the engine to be fine.

I believe I will get a new battery, then test the starter as suggested above, then see if the solenoid needs replacing. I should be able to handle that thanks to your help. If its a starter or worse then I will have to seek a mechanic.

Also wiring diagrams on this site in the photo alubums in the Gallery.:thumbsup:

Back