Pine sol my ass

cyclebuster

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I admit I didn't do any required homework. All I heard all over was the glory of using pine sol on carbs.

YEAH RIGHT.

I stripped down 2 sets of CB750 carbs. dropped them in pine sol.

It ate the chrome off everything. F>>>>>> JUNK

Ruined 2 mint cb750 carb sets.

The 2 gallons of pine sol is now a grey paste, and the carbs are polluted with it.

slides shafts and brackets all ruined.

no idea if I will be able to get the paste off these bodies either.

Sorry to hear this Bud, I was just going to request some info in the forums for doing just this. Cant find a trustworthy repair shop in my locale and I need to learn how to wrench on this stuff myself. Keep us updated..(

Would Electrolysis have been a better cleaning method for the carbs? I've recently tried electrolysis for rust removal on steel with success. Used Arm and Hammer washing soda (sodium carbonate) in water and 2 foot long steel rebars as the positive side anodes and a standard 2-4 amp battery charger. Lots of videos & decriptions on the net on how to do this, but again would this be a good method for carbs?

Electrolysis may remove that grey paste?????

update. the bodies came out fine, the bowls look to have clear coat on them, but will polish fine. I can buff the slides to a new finish on my buffer. brass turned black

But its ok now I guess, they are being built.

Friartuck, I don't think electrolysis would work for gummed up carbs, but I've never tried it on carburetors. I have used it for rust removal in gas tanks and on other rusty parts with some success. It might remove oxidation from aluminum, but I don't know. Ultrasonics works well for cleaning carbs.

Back