Petcock Help Please!!

Greendemon

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 dohc cb750c (custom) I swapped the tank with a 79 cb750f (super sport) , I ordered a petcock from Honda part # 16950 _MA4_771 not cheap either , I go to put it on and not only is the nut the wrong size not even the filter will fit the output on the tank, I do some research and there is another petcock on the exploded view that has a different part number but the only difference I see is that it doesn't have the lower bowl, but I'm not sure if that's the only difference, are there two completely different petcocks for the exact same tank of the exact same model on the exact same year, please help the other part number is 16950-MA4-671, I am using this for reference http://parts.southernhonda.com/showAssembly.aspx

At least 3 different ones there. You are trying to buy MA4 code parts which fit '81-82 K models, you most likely need to be looking for 425 in the middle number or '79 model stuff, the smaller one.

http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125partcode.html

They got bigger with more power as the first small size was even really too small for the SOHC, I had feed troubles with the same on my 550F. Problems really sprang up with the 900, and they made the passages bigger. The '79 first DOHC stuff used the same small passages as the SOHC and virtually every thing Honda made thruout the '70s.

Thanks for the info , I had one of those cheap Chinese petcocks laying around and tried it and the bike seemd to be starving for fuel so that's why I ordered the Honda one but if I'm going to have the same issue with fuel delivery what are my options at this point, the Barb difference is HUGE from the Honda one and the Chinese version I just ordered one off vintagecb750.com and apparently on the 79 super sport they are vin specific one was a 14mm and others were 16mm. And the one I got from Honda was 18mm. And the one that actually came on my 82 custom was a 19mm, am I better off just having someone solder a bigger bung and just use the 18mm one I bought from Honda, I am shying away from that because my tank is already painted and I would hate to have it ruined in the process but I do want to have all the power the bike is capable of

The bung or barb are not the issue other than getting it fitted up, rather the internal size of passages around the actual switching point inside.

That makes sense, so what did you do on your 550 to correct the problem, and did you bore it out or was it a true 550

Never corrected, I simply put up with it. The issue showed up mainly when the tank was run dry, then the new fuel amount was reluctant to purge the air out of the lines to fill bowls again. All passages were clean and open, I just learned to let bike sit for 5-10 minutes to bleed all the air out and then crank it up and motor on. Once the fuel flow was re-established it ran fine unless I went on an extended run at very high speeds, then it would catch up after about 5 minutes then you waited again when it ran out of gas. In normal driving though it ran fine and all the way out to 9000+ rpm in every gear to well over 100 mph. I simply never ran out of fuel any more to 'cure it'.

I got tired of the superfine ethanol rust clogging needles on it and yanked the worthless tank tube filter to install a car one lower down that filters much smaller rust out, that may have well impacted the issue too. The finer the filter media the more fuel weight needed to overcome crossing the media to flow. But it also shows how close the bike was to not getting fuel.

On a true '77 CB550F. Pods and a muffler removal to install a megaphone rear to imitate a header using the OEM 4-1 front, it worked pretty good.

I had an '80 CB750F that never had real serious problems but using the same type petcock, thinking the venting hose size may help there too. It had an early Kerker header and pods and I hotrodded it all day long, or at least until the oil got too hot in the summer. DOHCs with no oil cooler get the oil pretty hot when you are rat-racing, the pressure will drop a good amount until you drive slow to cool oil back off then right as rain again. I had an oil pressure gauge on that one.

Still, Honda had some sort of problem there and why they made the petcocks flow more and more as the engines got bigger. I believe the first DOHC 750 was right on the edge of fuel starvation if lightly modded but never quite got there. It seemed to show on mine at long 120 mph full throttle runs. Bike did fine at first then began to break up later. That came across as a fuel problem to me.

That's some awesome info, I will be getting my new petcock soon, I'll fill you in on the results , with what you tell me I'm hopeful this one one will work out fine since I'm building this bike for looks and not racing , thanks again for the replies

Back