• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

oil leaks

verdeva

CB750 Member
Reaction score
had a head gasket that was diagnosed as leaking on a 77 f2. brought it home after new gasket and it had an oil leak. took it back and they redid it. took it out and it had several oil leaks. brought it back again and they diagnosed it as a pressure relief line being plugged. they felt that that was the problem both times the oil leaked. they unplugged the line, went out and when they brought it back it wasn't leaking as badly. thereby asserting that that's what caused the leak both times. comments please.....

What was the oil pressure? There is no pressure relief line only suction supply line from tank for the pressure pump and return too the tank from the scavange pump. All the pressure relief is done in the oil pump and relieved in the pan. If you had high oil pressure it would only leak on the back side of the engine as that is where the two oil galleries going to the head are located. Without seeing the oil leak and oil pressure reading it is hard to make an assumption as to whether their statement is accurate or not. I would have to say highly unlikely in my opinion though.

there is a pressure relief line coming off the back side of the cam cover and routed down to a accumulation box under the battery.

There are many other places that it would leak before the head gasket if that line was plugged. again without knowing or seeing where you leak is its hard to say what caused it. Vent line plugged though would 99.9% not make the head gasket leak

I think i confused you, the only time the head gasket leaked is when i first took it in. all the leaks after that were coming from either the cam cover area or the cover by the front sprocket.

Back