Noob questions! Sorry in advance!!

Genesis

1978 CB750F SuperSport
Reaction score
Feel free to tell me to use the search bar. I attempted to but i had no luck. So I have a few noob questions, but first a little detail. I'm very new to CB750s, not only am i new to them, i'm new to motorcycles. I have learned a lot from a couple other forums. I bought a 1978 CB750F for 500 bucks, he requested bucks not dollars! (bad joke) Anyway, it was in decent shape, no seat, dirty carbs, couple missing things, but the basics were there! This was a few months ago, I've put in a little elbow grease into the bike and i think it's coming along real well! Now down to the specifics of my questions! Rear gas tank rubber is torn and i have ordered a new one.

My questions are:
How do i remount the gas tank with the new rubber? Because the old one is torn and a little easier to mount.
Does the gas tank stay down w/ only the rear and front rubbers?

I will upload photos upon request! Thanks for any help!

Post up some pictures. Unfortunately im not super familiar with how the stock tanks mount on the stock frame anymore but im sure if I see a picture it would come back to me.

I'm assuming that you have the 2 round rubber stubs in the front that the tank slides over and the one rubber in the back that the rear plate on the tank slides into. That would hold it things in place just fine.

Sorry about the late reply guys! I got caught up at work, i will upload pics tomorrow bright and early! Also, I'll demonstrate the tear rear rubber! Thanks for responding so fast everyone!

Okay. The new rubber retainer came in after arguing w/ the seller about their poor service! I'm attempting to upload images but it seems I can't upload images via the tapatalk app. Anyone know of a good image hosting site or could I upload an image directly to the site?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435052860.407846.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435052880.924367.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435052896.075622.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435052916.127473.jpg

This is a common problem, my bike came torn too.
The thing to remember is to not pull UP on the new rubber to
mount the tank, but rather roll it on from one end to the other.
After the new rubber is mounted to the frame lightly pull it BACK and roll it on starting
on one side only. If you try to pull the whole thing up to fit the tank tab under it,
that is when they usually tear. And put the new rubber out in the sun before you mount it
to soften it up a bit.
It does work with out tearing the new rubber and yes it holds the tank in place just fine,
but the honda seats usually help hold the rear part of the tank down. When the seat is in
place the tank can't come loose even with a torn rubber.

Back